New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Memory Installation Order

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

When I got my new Power Mac G5, I got an extra 2G of memory along with it as a separate purchase to install myself. Reading the manual, I see that it says to install any new memory AFTER the existing set of 2 * 256 my Mac came with.

For whatever reason, when I installed my memory, I took the original 2 * 256 out, installed my 2 * 1G in the slots the original memory was in, and then put the original memory in the next slots. I thought that the machine might perform better if the first 1GB or so was all on the same chip set.

Now I am wondering, is there a reason for Apple's injunction to put any new memory after the original 2 * 256, not instead of it? Is that first set of memory slots special in any way? How about the memory itself? I am assuming it is the same speed and width as any other compatible memory for this machine. Am I wrong?

By the way, my Mac happily shows that it has 2.5 GB of memory, so all my memory is being recognized. I am just always hunting for new ways to make it ever faster!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Mr Bobbins has a spectacular aura about

Try doing a benchmark test with XBench and then do the same with the memory swapped around. I shouldn't think that you will find much of a difference so long as the new memory that you purchased was a good make but you never know.
QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57
When I got my new Power Mac G5, I got an extra 2G of memory along with it as a separate purchase to install myself. Reading the manual, I see that it says to install any new memory AFTER the existing set of 2 * 256 my Mac came with.

For whatever reason, when I installed my memory, I took the original 2 * 256 out, installed my 2 * 1G in the slots the original memory was in, and then put the original memory in the next slots. I thought that the machine might perform better if the first 1GB or so was all on the same chip set.

Now I am wondering, is there a reason for Apple's injunction to put any new memory after the original 2 * 256, not instead of it? Is that first set of memory slots special in any way? How about the memory itself? I am assuming it is the same speed and width as any other compatible memory for this machine. Am I wrong?

By the way, my Mac happily shows that it has 2.5 GB of memory, so all my memory is being recognized. I am just always hunting for new ways to make it ever faster!
Don't know why they told you "after" unless they just didn't want you mucking around with it... there is no reason why that i know of that it won't work just fine by replacing the 256's... The fact that your machine DOES see the proper amount of memory means that things was installed correctly and should work just fine.

Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - 4 Gigs Ram - 10.6.1 - 30" Apple Monitor
iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dual Graphics Card Question | Memory Differences »