New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

How to boot from CD?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gh11

gh11 is on a distinguished road

Im trying to install OSX onto a BW powermac G3. How do I get it to boot from cd, it doesnt have an OS on it right now. I tried holding c but that didnt work.

EDIT: ok i can boot from cd now, but the intstaller isnt seeing my hard drive. it sees it in the partitioner but when i have to select a destination for the install it only shows a cd rom drive. it wont let me partition it either because it says the partition is in use, which i dont understand
QUOTE Thanks
iBeldar

iBeldar will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '08 White MB 2.1ghz - 4GB- 120GB- Superdrive - Snow Leopard

If it can't find the hard drive then your hard drive is shot. Hit the power button and once the chime sounds, hold down the option button. This brings up the boot selector, and shows icons of bootable drives. If a hard drive icon doesn't show up, then your hard drive is shot.

White Penryn Macbook 08'
2.1GHZ C2D - 4GB RAM - 120GB HD - Combo Drive - Snow Leopard - Windows 7 Professional
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

You DID update the firmware right?

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
gh11

Ok Im having another go at this, and I need help quickly. I am holding c but the screen just stays grey for a long time then boots into mac os9.1, and yes the osx cd is in.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

I know that technically you shouldn't have to, but I have heard that some B&W's still needing OS X to be installed on the first 8GB in order to work.
Try making a partition of 7.5 GB and then try to install OS X on it.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
gh11

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
I know that technically you shouldn't have to, but I have heard that some B&W's still needing OS X to be installed on the first 8GB in order to work.
Try making a partition of 7.5 GB and then try to install OS X on it.
It has a 6gb drive in it. Im going to try it on a 20gb next, but it wont matter if i cant boot into the installer.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac CD/DVD Upgrade Possibilities | Upgrade g4 from mac mini install disk »