New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Intel 20" Core Duo - OS X 10.4.6: DVD's Sometimes Don't Mount

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

geekboy2000

geekboy2000 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A

Insert DVD into Superdrive. It spins up, sounds like it's going to mount, but doesn't. Eject it, put it in my external firewire drive. Doesn't mount in that drive either. Log out, back in, and DVD mounts in either drive. That would seem to rule out hardware. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Mark

"I'm the one that's going to die when it's time for me to die.
So let me live my life . . . the way I want to.
" - From "If 6 Was 9" - Jimi Hendrix
QUOTE Thanks
studio34

studio34 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: dual core 20" iMac | 2GB RAM | 256MB ATI Radeon | 500GB HD | anticipated delivery: 7/3/06 -> 7/11/06

I just received my new iMac and the same problem happens for me. I was in the middle of installing MS Office when the install failed. I had to restart to eject the disk. Now it won't mount CDs, DVDs, or data disks (including the startup disk that came with the machine). I am going to call Apple, but I am really disappointed considering that one of the major reasons I bought the Mac was that I had to send my PC back under warranty twice.
QUOTE Thanks
iBeldar

iBeldar will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '08 White MB 2.1ghz - 4GB- 120GB- Superdrive - Snow Leopard

My friend's iMac G4 does that too. It plays music but software doesn't mount. Anyone know what the deal with that is?

White Penryn Macbook 08'
2.1GHZ C2D - 4GB RAM - 120GB HD - Combo Drive - Snow Leopard - Windows 7 Professional
QUOTE Thanks
studio34

Mac Specs: dual core 20" iMac | 2GB RAM | 256MB ATI Radeon | 500GB HD | anticipated delivery: 7/3/06 -> 7/11/06

I have done a little research on Apple's support site. I did not find anything within the technical articles, but there was quite a bit of discussion in the forums about this problem. I picked out a few solutions which I will try once I get home to my iMac tonight before I have to call Apple Care:

Solution 1
Quote:
It now appears that in some cases, resetting NVRAM can resolve this issue. This is accomplished via the following procedure:

Start up into Open Firmware by pressing and holding the Command, Option, O and F keys simultaneously combination during startup.

At the prompt, type the following commands, one by one, pressing the return key after each (your system will automatically restart after pressing return the last time):

* reset-nvram
* set-defaults
* reset-all
Solution 2
Quote:
I should have tried this a long time ago, but I created a new user account, logged in, put in a DVD and the Superdrive worked fine.

I logged back in to my normal account and deleted the com.apple.DVDPlayer.plist from my Preferences folder and everything is back to normal.
Solution 3 (not sure about this one)
Quote:
Its the wierdest fix in the world i know, but it worked for me....

open system preferences.
go to international
under languages: drag any of the other languages to the top, then drag english back to the top.
make sure "order for sorted lists" is set to english make sure "work break" is set to english(united states, computer) then restart.
I'll post the results of my efforts later.
QUOTE Thanks
studio34

I tried all three methods. None worked. I called Apple Care and the technician said it was a bad SuperDrive and that I should take it into local Apple Store. I brought it in to the Apple Store in Denver and unfortunately they weren't too helpful. The kid at the store had me enter my name into a laptop which told me that the technician who was flirting with some girl was too busy to see me yesterday. I went online to make an appointment today to get my brand new iMac fixed by a "genius".

This is the kind of poor customer service that caused me to switch from my HP to Apple in the first place.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« About the Cheaper Imac | Best and cheapest pc2700 memory »