New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

G4 Processor upgrade question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wngriff

I will be getting a Powermac with AGP Graphics 400 MHZ system, with 256 MB of RAM. I plan to upgrade the processor to 1.0 GHZ Sonnet processor. Once it's upgrade, will I be running at 1 GHZ? Would it be a tremendous improvement in speed and be able to successfully edit and burn home movies in ILife?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Yes, I did a similar thing with my old "Sawtooth" and it was a great boost. You will be running at 1Ghz. I'd put at least 1Gb of RAM in it as well.

QUOTE Thanks
wngriff

Thanks for your help!! By the Way, love the picture of your G5
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Baggss is right. It will make quite a difference. The Sonnet is a good Upgrade. Also like Baggss said, up the RAM as far as you can. Otherwise 256 will bog down the system. 1GB is a good amount.
QUOTE Thanks
skateit12

may i ask the price on this processor cuz i need one too
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/cpu_upgrades.html
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I paid $350 for my 1.3Ghz upgrade from Powelogix 3 years ago and it was worth every penny. I highly recommend Powerlogix btw.

The only downside with the system you will be getting, and it is what finally made me upgrade to the G5, is the main system bus is only 100Mhz and that becomes a limiting factor for higher intensity applications and/or bigger files. However, if you are using it for day to day or semi-heavy graphics, video or sound editing, it should be ok, especially with the upgraded CPU.

QUOTE Thanks
jhelm007

jhelm007 is a jewel in the roughjhelm007 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD

A great resource for reviews of all the major G4 upgrades is in the database on www.xlr8yourmac.com It helped me alot when I bought a 1.4 GHz gigadesign upgrade a couple years ago.

I think sonnet is a great upgrade manufacturer, but there are several that are just as good so you can buy whatever (from wherever) gets you the best bang for the buck.

Upgrading the sawtooth is a great deal right now. There are lots of fairly cheap upgrades available if you shop around.
QUOTE Thanks
wenseleydale

also try www.macsales.com i have a 2001 quicksilver 733mhz that i upgraded to a 1.4ghz and it was an instant improvement! but like everyone else says, make sure you have enough ram. i put 1.25gigs in mine and it runs nice and smooth
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Farewell fellow mini-ers, hellow MacbookKeepers | Does my flat panel iMac G4 have airport card slot? »