New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Indigo 350 MHz - 20 gig drive clicks but...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Juker

Put a 20 gig 3.5" IDE drive from a PC into an Indigo imac. Tested it in a PC using IBM's drive test in advanced mode with multiple passes passed with flying colors plus it has a good history. Put it in the mac and click-click-click. Put it back in a PC and it works fine.

Same deal with an ibook 700 MHz I have. Put in a 20 gig laptop drive from a PC and it has strange spinup problems but works fine on a PC. But if I boot from a CD the drive spins up fine and is accessible.

I'm a PC person who is trying really hard to jump into Mac's but I've been messing with these hard drive issues for 2 weeks now and need some advice. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
UnaClocker

UnaClocker is on a distinguished road

IBM Deathstar drive? Pretty common to have the click of death.. I think there was a class-action suit against IBM for those POS drives.. I run an old Maxtor 60gb 7200rpm drive from my PC in my Blueberry iMac 350 (upgraded to 500 now, but was a 350 when I first put the drive in). Works great.
I've had a half dozen of those IBM drives die on me. All died in PC's.. They used to be the fastest drives you could get, and I just kept warrantying them.. Such a shame IBM did that to it's customers.
QUOTE Thanks
Juker

Thanks for the quick reply. Actually it's a Western Digital drive. I just the the IBM drive test utility to test all brands. It will test any brand but will resfuse to attempt any "repairs" unless it's an IBM brand drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

When you put the WD drives in did you try to start up from a system CD or from the HD? Once the HD is in the computer you must start from a system install CD, use the disk utility to format the HD and then install the Mac OS. Also, make sure the jumpers are set to match the old Mac HDs; don't assume that the pc jumper settings will work on the Macs.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dual 1.8 GHZ PowerPC G5 fan noise.. I think | My "new" Mini isn't a 1.42? »