New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

G4 MDD Dual Boot - Advice Please : )

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Aquarius xx1

Hi there -
i know it's a bit cheeky posting this here as it's more of an OS issue ... but i didn't get any response in the "Windows, Linux, and Other Software" forum ...

problem is :
i've just bought a dual boot 1.25Ghz MDD G4 w/2gb RAM .
whilst in OS9 i look to see how much memory is being used by the OS (under 'About This Computer') ... and it says 574 MB !!!
Is that normal ?

i've checked the Extensions folder .. it only contains 152MB of Extensions .. so i don't think it's that ....
the whole System Folder is only 562MB (don't think it's that) .

does anyone else run a dual boot system similar to mine ? ... if so , it would be really handy if you could let me know if this is abnormal .

much appreciated .
hopefully i can help someone out somewhere in the future too .
QUOTE Thanks
lil

This is quite normal under Mac OS 9 or older, as its memory allocation scheme is a lot different to OS X and it tends to grab big chunks even if it physically isn't using all that you allocate it. I would not worry about this!

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I just booted up my G4 500 Sawtooth into OS 9.2.2. Do you by any chance have the Ram Disk enabled? Check the Memory control panel. Otherwise I have never had that much used. Mine is around 67Megs used when it boots into OS9 with no other applications running. I have 1.25GB RAM and over 1GB free. I don't have any extra extensions turned on either. Pretty much a stock install of 9.2 with the .2 upgrade installed.
QUOTE Thanks
Aquarius xx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil
This is quite normal under Mac OS 9 or older, as its memory allocation scheme is a lot different to OS X and it tends to grab big chunks even if it physically isn't using all that you allocate it. I would not worry about this!

Vicky
Thanks Vicky ...

i should maybe have made it clearer tho ...
it's just the OS using all that memory !!
there are no other visible programmes (other than Finder) running !! :O

Is that still normal ?
QUOTE Thanks
Aquarius xx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7
I just booted up my G4 500 Sawtooth into OS 9.2.2. Do you by any chance have the Ram Disk enabled? Check the Memory control panel. Otherwise I have never had that much used. Mine is around 67Megs used when it boots into OS9 with no other applications running. I have 1.25GB RAM and over 1GB free. I don't have any extra extensions turned on either. Pretty much a stock install of 9.2 with the .2 upgrade installed.
Hey thanks D ,
i was begining to think it was normal .!
i can't believe that more than a quarter of my 2 gig of ram is being used up by the Finder .

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this :batman:

ps i'm not using a ram disk and virtual memory is swiched off .
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« USB for Mac G3 | Memory Upgrade, please check out »