New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - Upgrading Mac mini HDD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

alucard

alucard is a jewel in the roughalucard is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad 2.66GHz Intel Xeon W/3GB Ram & 250GB HDD

I am new to the Mac world and just bought a Mac mini on ebay and was wondering if their are any documents or web sites on upgrading the hard drive? I have a 300GB SATA 7400 RPM drive that I would like to replace the factory hard drive with but i dont want to break anything.

I have been building and upgrading PC's for over 14 years and i am very familiar with the inside of a computer but i am not familiar with the mini.

Thanks for any help.
QUOTE Thanks
UnaClocker

UnaClocker is on a distinguished road

The MacMini uses a 2.5" hard drive, not 3.5"..
QUOTE Thanks
makwanad

makwanad will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb

go to ifixit they give you step by step and diagrams on how to take apart the mini and replace the HD

Back with the mac!
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I'd get one of those enclosures that sit under the mini instead:

The largest internal one you'll be able to put in is currently a 120-160BG 2,5" drive, and they are horribly expensive per GB:

Get an enclosure to sit under the mini (Lacie, LMP, Iomega, Networx and others make them - Iomega's also has an integrated USB & Firewire hub, the Networx one also has a DVB-T tuner), you can get up to 300GB then.
QUOTE Thanks
makwanad

makwanad will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb

Can you imagine having a whole series of those and making a mac tower? You would have unbelieveable space!

Back with the mac!
QUOTE Thanks
alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaClocker
The MacMini uses a 2.5" hard drive, not 3.5"..
Ok, like laptop hard drives. I was starting to wonder how they got a 3.5 in the mini. They didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by makwanad
go to ifixit they give you step by step and diagrams on how to take apart the mini and replace the HD
I will take a look. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
I'd get one of those enclosures that sit under the mini instead:

The largest internal one you'll be able to put in is currently a 120-160BG 2,5" drive, and they are horribly expensive per GB:

Get an enclosure to sit under the mini (Lacie, LMP, Iomega, Networx and others make them - Iomega's also has an integrated USB & Firewire hub, the Networx one also has a DVB-T tuner), you can get up to 300GB then.
Awesome, thanx. What is a DVB-T tuner? Is it anything like the WinTV PVR?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

DVB-T is a digital television standard..
It's used mostly in europe afaik... you didn't write where you are from, so I thought I'd include it anyway!
QUOTE Thanks
alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
DVB-T is a digital television standard..
It's used mostly in europe afaik... you didn't write where you are from, so I thought I'd include it anyway!
I'm in the U.S. Can it be used here?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

No idea I'm afraid...
I'm going to guess not.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Power Mac G4 Problem | imac g5 20inch for sale: ebay »