Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    alucard's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 29, 2006
    Location
    Hurricane Alley (Florida)
    Posts
    411
    Specs:
    Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
    Upgrading Mac mini HDD
    I am new to the Mac world and just bought a Mac mini on ebay and was wondering if their are any documents or web sites on upgrading the hard drive? I have a 300GB SATA 7400 RPM drive that I would like to replace the factory hard drive with but i dont want to break anything.

    I have been building and upgrading PC's for over 14 years and i am very familiar with the inside of a computer but i am not familiar with the mini.

    Thanks for any help.

  2. #2


    Member Since
    Apr 25, 2006
    Posts
    73
    The MacMini uses a 2.5" hard drive, not 3.5"..

  3. #3

    makwanad's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 13, 2006
    Location
    Huntingdon A.K.A. "Skagtown of the UK"
    Posts
    266
    Specs:
    eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb
    go to ifixit they give you step by step and diagrams on how to take apart the mini and replace the HD
    Back with the mac!

  4. #4

    Aptmunich's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 09, 2004
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    9,073
    Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    I'd get one of those enclosures that sit under the mini instead:

    The largest internal one you'll be able to put in is currently a 120-160BG 2,5" drive, and they are horribly expensive per GB:

    Get an enclosure to sit under the mini (Lacie, LMP, Iomega, Networx and others make them - Iomega's also has an integrated USB & Firewire hub, the Networx one also has a DVB-T tuner), you can get up to 300GB then.

  5. #5

    makwanad's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 13, 2006
    Location
    Huntingdon A.K.A. "Skagtown of the UK"
    Posts
    266
    Specs:
    eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb
    Can you imagine having a whole series of those and making a mac tower? You would have unbelieveable space!
    Back with the mac!

  6. #6

    alucard's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 29, 2006
    Location
    Hurricane Alley (Florida)
    Posts
    411
    Specs:
    Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by UnaClocker
    The MacMini uses a 2.5" hard drive, not 3.5"..
    Ok, like laptop hard drives. I was starting to wonder how they got a 3.5 in the mini. They didn't


    Quote Originally Posted by makwanad
    go to ifixit they give you step by step and diagrams on how to take apart the mini and replace the HD
    I will take a look. Thank you.


    Quote Originally Posted by Aptmunich
    I'd get one of those enclosures that sit under the mini instead:

    The largest internal one you'll be able to put in is currently a 120-160BG 2,5" drive, and they are horribly expensive per GB:

    Get an enclosure to sit under the mini (Lacie, LMP, Iomega, Networx and others make them - Iomega's also has an integrated USB & Firewire hub, the Networx one also has a DVB-T tuner), you can get up to 300GB then.
    Awesome, thanx. What is a DVB-T tuner? Is it anything like the WinTV PVR?

  7. #7

    Aptmunich's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 09, 2004
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    9,073
    Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    DVB-T is a digital television standard..
    It's used mostly in europe afaik... you didn't write where you are from, so I thought I'd include it anyway!

  8. #8

    alucard's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 29, 2006
    Location
    Hurricane Alley (Florida)
    Posts
    411
    Specs:
    Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Aptmunich
    DVB-T is a digital television standard..
    It's used mostly in europe afaik... you didn't write where you are from, so I thought I'd include it anyway!
    I'm in the U.S. Can it be used here?

  9. #9

    Aptmunich's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 09, 2004
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    9,073
    Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    No idea I'm afraid...
    I'm going to guess not.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Upgrading Mac Mini HDD
    By gozzy in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-15-2011, 05:25 PM
  2. Upgrading HDD, fresh OS install or restore from old HDD
    By m.parker in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-09-2011, 06:04 PM
  3. Upgrading HD in Mac Mini??
    By Mc Newbie in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-29-2010, 01:15 AM
  4. upgrading old mac mini?
    By Ellis in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-26-2010, 10:46 PM
  5. Help with upgrading Mac mini OS
    By ethann in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-01-2010, 06:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •