New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

installing Tiger on G4 sawtooth via crossover cable or something!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Macpunk

Is there any way i could do this?

The thing is my G4 sawtooth havenīt got a dvd drive and my tiger discs are dvds. My G4 ibook on the contrary has a dvd drive, so Iīm thinking...Can I install Tiger over my LAN or via crossover?

thanks in advance.

BTW I tried Google, but it didnīt really come up with anything usefull.
QUOTE Thanks
lil

FireWire target disk mode. You need a standard 6 to 6pin firewire 400 cable, connect the ibook and PowerMac, and then turn on the PowerMac, hold down 't' until you see the FireWire motif.

Then start the iBook with the Tiger DVD inserted holding down 'C'.

The iBook will boot Tiger's install and from there you should see the Sawtooth's hard drive mounted via FireWire 400.

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
Macpunk

thanks. But the problem is i donīt own a firewire cable. Of course i could go out and buy one :-)
Is there really no "network install"?
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macpunk
thanks. But the problem is i donīt own a firewire cable. Of course i could go out and buy one :-)
Is there really no "network install"?
No, unless you have the server edition of Mac OS X.
Mac OS X Server costs at least $499,- so I would go with the Firewire solution... :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
Macpunk

i guess i will too, then :-D
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« To Sleep or Not to Sleep??? | PowerMac G5, IMac Core Duo, or .... »