New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - For people who have the 17" Intel iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Burton

Is the screen size big enough for you?? do you think 20" would be too big? please any info would be nice.

Thanks in advance,
Burton
QUOTE Thanks
doox00

never to big, I have a 24" on my pc and now I want to upgrade to the 30"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton
Is the screen size big enough for you?? do you think 20" would be too big? please any info would be nice.

Thanks in advance,
Burton
QUOTE Thanks
Smartz

Smartz is on a distinguished road

I use 2 17 inchers, one at home and one at work, they are both more than suitable and most people ask me if they are 20 inch anyway. To be honest with these type of things the real matter of importance is the native screen res and 1440 x 900 is just great! If you have the money for the 20 inch i would go 17 and spec up 2gb of system ram!
QUOTE Thanks
TS1AWD

TS1AWD is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Aluminum, 20", 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB of Ram

I'm no gamer or photoshopper, but just an average computer user and I think the 17" is perfect. It's not too large so it seems to put less strain on your eyes. There is enough room for a web page and a couple instant messages on the side. I am happy with it for my daily browsing and what not.

But if you plan to use the computer for more than just at a consumer level than I would say go with the 20".
QUOTE Thanks
norcalnewbie

norcalnewbie is on a distinguished road

I agree...I use my imac 17" g5 and I think its great. perfect for me. I wanted to get the 20" but didn't have the money. Now when I see a 20" I don't see that much of a size difference. 17" is the way to go unless you really need the bigger screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS1AWD
I'm no gamer or photoshopper, but just an average computer user and I think the 17" is perfect. It's not too large so it seems to put less strain on your eyes. There is enough room for a web page and a couple instant messages on the side. I am happy with it for my daily browsing and what not.

But if you plan to use the computer for more than just at a consumer level than I would say go with the 20".
QUOTE Thanks
playm0de

playm0de has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 20 inch iMac Core Duo

I got the 20, and I sometimes wish I got the 17. But then I like the 20. And then Im just confused.
QUOTE Thanks
cjay

cjay is a jewel in the roughcjay is a jewel in the rough

My issue with the 20 is that not only is the screen bigger but the whole unit is. I'd get the 17 for general use and then when I wanted the extra space I'd just add another display.
QUOTE Thanks
Say_Cheese

Say_Cheese has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz

I have the 20". I personally love it. I looked at the 17" but I decided to spend the extra as I know that the way my mind works. I would be happy with the 17" for about a week before I began to start wishing that I had brought the 20". By buying the 20" I have removed any doubt that was likely to keep into my mind.
QUOTE Thanks
makwanad

makwanad will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb

Haha you think that is something? I use a 42" plasma screen for my PC moniter, It makes things well... big.

Back with the mac!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I change the name of my hard drive? | weee, just bought my first mac! »