New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

G3 Power Supply Problem.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AutoMattOn

Hi all,

it's my first post so play nice

I've Been lucky enough to be given a B&W G3 (yosemite) but it was missing it's power supply. i've tried to use an ATX power supply, as seen here , but it doesn't boot. it does do the following:

PSU fan starts
Hard drive spins up
Six LED's on the motherboard light up:
DS1
DS4 + DS5
DS7
DS8
DS9

Also the main case fan appears to be unplugged. it doesn't spin and the lead is unattached to anything. i can't find a connector on the motherboard to plug it into.

I'd be really grateful for any assistance or just some links to more in depth pictures, diagrams, blueprints, spec sheets, etc. i've had a look at apple's developer notes but they don't really go into specifics. I've also tried googling around a bit but i must confess to feeling a bit lost as to where to start.

again, thanks in advance for any help

M@

edited to add:

I also tried holding down the reset switch next to the internal 'power on' button by DS8
QUOTE Thanks
AutoMattOn

found a pretty complete manual here

fixed the fan problem with a bodged - er i mean modded - molex/fan extension cable.

also improved the PSU situation by using the spliced wiring from here which seems to make things more spec-compliant than just cutting the cables.

also noticed that the caps-lock key on the USB keyboard flashes when it's powered up.

have tried 3 different AGP monitors with no joy. also tried all the different reset procedures, like popping the battery out for 10 mins etc.

stoopid question: will any AGP card work or do they have to be special Mac-compliant/certified ones?

Thnx again

M@
QUOTE Thanks
macEfan

macEfan is a jewel in the roughmacEfan is a jewel in the roughmacEfan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9

First of all, the g3 B&W doesn't even have an AGP slot... its PCI...

Secondly, you need a mac-specific card...unless you flash a PC card, but Im not sure how to do that...

Report offensive posts
Don't forget to use the rep system!
QUOTE Thanks
AutoMattOn

I've been doing more tinkering to no effect on the machine but of great use to my learning curve

thnxs for the reply macEfan

> the g3 B&W doesn't even have an AGP slot... its PCI...

it's sort of PCI. there's notches in the card and the gfx slot has, er, wha'd'ya'call'em's to match. i guess i meant that it's the VGA port type as well as opposed to a mac video port

> flashing a PCI card

sod that for a game of soldiers.

at the moment i suspect either the proc or the video card. anyone know what the LED's on the mobo mean?

the plan now is to wait until another G3 falls outta the sky. oh well...

M@
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac in ATX Case | Performance Comparison, iMac G5 vs. Pentium IV »