Thread: Unfixable G5 ?

carmender
    Unfixable G5 ?
    :bandage: I've posted regarding my problem of fan noise and everything I've done so far. It's back to its old habits including fans going full blast, my display goes dark and it seems like it is in some kind of emergency shut down mode. CompUSA could find nothing wrong with it so obviously it did not malfunction while they were running it. THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG ! If somebody I take it to does figure this out it will probably cost some big change. What would you do ? Risk paying close to the cost of getting a mini and hoping that's the end of this or saying heck with it and just bite the bullet for a Mini ? At least I can keep my keyboard, monitor. Thanks for any input..............

Unfixable G5 ?
    Specs:
    Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
    don't buy a mini, that is very much so a downgrade from the g5, try to get it fixed by apple and if they can't fix it then you can go ahead and buy a mini in the future, but apple should be able to fix the computer.
    My Website
    Blog
    I love my hosting company!
    I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006

Unfixable G5 ?
    Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    The fans go full blast when you experience a Kernal Panic.

You're experiencing a Kernal Panic, probably a system issue, but maybe hardware related. If you have done anything hardware wise to the machine, like add RAM, take it out and see what happens. If the problem persists, then boot from the CD, follow the instructions to install the OS and look for the OPTIONS button 3 or 4 Windows in. Click OPTIONS and select ARCHIVE and INSTALL. This will put a new base System on your machine but leave your stuff alone. This will likely fix your issue. I had a KP issue when I first got my Quad and it was a system issue. I did what I said above and it stopped.

carmender
    G5 Cure Ideas
    Quote Originally Posted by baggss
    The fans go full blast when you experience a Kernal Panic.

You're experiencing a Kernal Panic, probably a system issue, but maybe hardware related. If you have done anything hardware wise to the machine, like add RAM, take it out and see what happens. If the problem persists, then boot from the CD, follow the instructions to install the OS and look for the OPTIONS button 3 or 4 Windows in. Click OPTIONS and select ARCHIVE and INSTALL. This will put a new base System on your machine but leave your stuff alone. This will likely fix your issue. I had a KP issue when I first got my Quad and it was a system issue. I did what I said above and it stopped.
    :bandage: Thanks for this info. I just got done with trying a previous idea which is applying tape to the right side locater tab of cooling air dam. With the Mac running, inserting and removing the dam made a light inside go on and off on some board so that tab is throwing some switch as detailed by Lazarus. The final test will be to turn it on and use it. I've re-installed a temp monitor utility. Tried running it with the air dam left out. A definite no no........ the fans go nuts.

Unfixable G5 ?
    Specs:
    PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
    Running a PowerMac G5 without the air deflector (transparent plastic cover inside) is not a good idea. Not only does it cause the PCI-bay and drive-bay fans to run at full blast all the time, but the CPU runs in some sort of reduced power mode. That is because that deflector is needed to separate the diferent air flows, so that each piece gets the air it needs.

The little tab is there to tell the computer about the deflector's presence. And I really doubt that this tab has anything to do with your problem.

You should try what baggss has proposed. If after an Archive & Install the problem persists, the problem isn't system related, but hardware, and you should bring it to an Apple certified repair center. I'm not sure if Compusa is any good for that, as I 'm not from the US.

Going from a PowerMac to a mini isn't really a good choice, as that really is a downgrade.

Thread Information