New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Unfixable G5 ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

carmender

:bandage: I've posted regarding my problem of fan noise and everything I've done so far. It's back to its old habits including fans going full blast, my display goes dark and it seems like it is in some kind of emergency shut down mode. CompUSA could find nothing wrong with it so obviously it did not malfunction while they were running it. THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG ! If somebody I take it to does figure this out it will probably cost some big change. What would you do ? Risk paying close to the cost of getting a mini and hoping that's the end of this or saying heck with it and just bite the bullet for a Mini ? At least I can keep my keyboard, monitor. Thanks for any input..............
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

don't buy a mini, that is very much so a downgrade from the g5, try to get it fixed by apple and if they can't fix it then you can go ahead and buy a mini in the future, but apple should be able to fix the computer.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

The fans go full blast when you experience a Kernal Panic.

You're experiencing a Kernal Panic, probably a system issue, but maybe hardware related. If you have done anything hardware wise to the machine, like add RAM, take it out and see what happens. If the problem persists, then boot from the CD, follow the instructions to install the OS and look for the OPTIONS button 3 or 4 Windows in. Click OPTIONS and select ARCHIVE and INSTALL. This will put a new base System on your machine but leave your stuff alone. This will likely fix your issue. I had a KP issue when I first got my Quad and it was a system issue. I did what I said above and it stopped.

QUOTE Thanks
carmender

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss
The fans go full blast when you experience a Kernal Panic.

You're experiencing a Kernal Panic, probably a system issue, but maybe hardware related. If you have done anything hardware wise to the machine, like add RAM, take it out and see what happens. If the problem persists, then boot from the CD, follow the instructions to install the OS and look for the OPTIONS button 3 or 4 Windows in. Click OPTIONS and select ARCHIVE and INSTALL. This will put a new base System on your machine but leave your stuff alone. This will likely fix your issue. I had a KP issue when I first got my Quad and it was a system issue. I did what I said above and it stopped.
:bandage: Thanks for this info. I just got done with trying a previous idea which is applying tape to the right side locater tab of cooling air dam. With the Mac running, inserting and removing the dam made a light inside go on and off on some board so that tab is throwing some switch as detailed by Lazarus. The final test will be to turn it on and use it. I've re-installed a temp monitor utility. Tried running it with the air dam left out. A definite no no........ the fans go nuts.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Running a PowerMac G5 without the air deflector (transparent plastic cover inside) is not a good idea. Not only does it cause the PCI-bay and drive-bay fans to run at full blast all the time, but the CPU runs in some sort of reduced power mode. That is because that deflector is needed to separate the diferent air flows, so that each piece gets the air it needs.

The little tab is there to tell the computer about the deflector's presence. And I really doubt that this tab has anything to do with your problem.

You should try what baggss has proposed. If after an Archive & Install the problem persists, the problem isn't system related, but hardware, and you should bring it to an Apple certified repair center. I'm not sure if Compusa is any good for that, as I 'm not from the US.

Going from a PowerMac to a mini isn't really a good choice, as that really is a downgrade.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« upgrading the internal hard drive in an old iMac | Control imac from ibook »