Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    mayorofvilas
    Guest
    Angry iMac 9.2.2 Startup Trouble - HELP!!!
    I performed a clean install of OS 9.2.2 on my iMac 266 MHz. It ran fine for a few hours, but now it will not boot up at all. I get the musical tone when I power up, but the screen remains black and nothing else happens. I hear the hard drive access for a brief period, and then nothing. Is this a hardware or a software problem? How can I fix this problem? I am at a loss!!! Any suggestions would be appreciated...

  2. #2
    jerodhusvar
    Guest
    Can you boot from CD? If so, can you see your hard drive?

  3. #3
    lzasitko
    Guest
    no video
    Quote Originally Posted by mayorofvilas
    I performed a clean install of OS 9.2.2 on my iMac 266 MHz. It ran fine for a few hours, but now it will not boot up at all. I get the musical tone when I power up, but the screen remains black and nothing else happens. I hear the hard drive access for a brief period, and then nothing. Is this a hardware or a software problem? How can I fix this problem? I am at a loss!!! Any suggestions would be appreciated...
    Have you updated the system software?

    I had similar problem on my 1Mac 366 when I installed OSX. On the final reboot I had no video, but it seemed to be doing something (hdd activity). I tried everything and in the end gave up in frustration and went and had coffee to calm down :-) Anyways around a half hour later I went back and it was in sleep mode, the minute I touched the mouse it came up with the desktop screen. I checked preferences and it did not have the correct monitor selected, so I set it to the right one. Since then no problems. You can let it run for 5 minutes or so after you boot it and press the power key, this will force it into sleep mode, then click the mouse and see if it works right.

    Larry Zasitko

  4. #4
    mayorofvilas
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jerodhusvar
    Can you boot from CD? If so, can you see your hard drive?
    I cannot boot at all, from CD or otherwise.

  5. #5
    mayorofvilas
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lzasitko
    Have you updated the system software?

    I had similar problem on my 1Mac 366 when I installed OSX. On the final reboot I had no video, but it seemed to be doing something (hdd activity). I tried everything and in the end gave up in frustration and went and had coffee to calm down :-) Anyways around a half hour later I went back and it was in sleep mode, the minute I touched the mouse it came up with the desktop screen. I checked preferences and it did not have the correct monitor selected, so I set it to the right one. Since then no problems. You can let it run for 5 minutes or so after you boot it and press the power key, this will force it into sleep mode, then click the mouse and see if it works right.

    Larry Zasitko

    Thanks for your response, Larry. I hear HDD activity for a few seconds, and then it stops. I tried to boot up, left for work, came back 3 hours later and tried to revive it by messing with the mouse, but it was in the same state. Nothing. Any other suggestions?

    Peter Rhyne

  6. #6

    immdb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 04, 2003
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    654
    Specs:
    Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
    Zap the PRAM
    Start while holding Command + Option + P + R. Release after the third chime.

    If still nothing I would then check the battery.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. imac on startup
    By moloaapa in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-28-2014, 08:52 PM
  2. iMac Startup Problem
    By starsintheskies in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-22-2011, 02:11 AM
  3. Macbook startup trouble
    By sprayingmantits in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-19-2010, 02:57 PM
  4. Eject Disc While Off? (or Startup Disk Trouble)
    By jmr785 in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-23-2008, 06:49 AM
  5. startup trouble
    By mystique in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 11:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •