New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Energy saving features not working on G3 iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wicker_man

wicker_man will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD

I've just noticed that the energy saving features don't seem to work on my iMac G3 DV 400MHz.

I was planning on leaving it on overnight to re-sync my 3G iPod (which does not seem to work via firewire, only USB1 and I have created a thread about it with no suggestions so far). I find the screen glow annoying because my desk is next to my bed, so I wanted the monitor to automatically switch off. But, even after setting it to 1 min of inactivity, it did not work.

I have also tried scheduling startup and shutdown, and sleeping after so many minutes of inactivity, but these do not work either.

Do I need some kind of driver for this? I am running 10.3.9.

Looks like I'll have to put a piece of cardboard in front of the screen temorarily. 18GB over USB1 is gonna take all night

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz, PowerMac G4 Cube + 17" LCD Studio Display, 2x1TB WD My Book Studio (FW800)
iPod Classic 160GB (Black), 3rd gen 40GB, iPhone 2G 16GB + Denon AH-C551K
NAD C370 + B&W 686 + Grado SR80
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

Check the preferences to see if the mac is set to receive faxes. If so it will stay awake waiting for an incoming signal. Another possibility: make sure the energy saving settings in classic are set to allow the mac to sleep.
QUOTE Thanks
wicker_man

Faxing is disabled.

Also, I do not have classic (OS9) installed.

MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz, PowerMac G4 Cube + 17" LCD Studio Display, 2x1TB WD My Book Studio (FW800)
QUOTE Thanks
lil

Is there a Firmware update maybe that can be applied?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75130 is the latest version for the iMac.

It sounds rather odd that power management is seemingly not working at present...

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
wicker_man

I just tried the screen sleep after 1 min of inactivity and it turned off

It ran the Software Update the other day, so I think this might of fixed it. I'll try the automatic shut down and restart in a while.

It's currently on 4.1.9, I had to upgrade before installing OSX.

EDIT: Yep, scheduled start up and shut down also work nicely. Great :black:

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Base Mini | Great Deals to be Had on PC100 RAM »