New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Anyone have any experience with this drive?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs

Alright, I've got a Dual 1.8Ghz PowerMac G5 with a 250GB hard drive. I'm looking to upgrade so I can edit multiple weddings on one RAID 0 setup. I was wondering if anyone has any praise/horror stories regarding this drive...or if someone wants to recommend me a better one, that's fine too. It's a Seagate Barracuda. So far it has great reviews, but most people always seem to want to justify their purchase and will give rave reviews over a piece of junk...

Thanks.

Edit: Oops, I forgot to put the friggin' link! Here is the link!

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
geekboy2000

geekboy2000 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A

I can't comment on that particular drive, but I love Seagate drives. I have a 300GB SATA, and 2 160GB PATA Seagates. Like anything else, you'll find differing opinions, but IMO, my once preferred drives (Maxtor) have gone down the tubes in terms of reliability. I recently grabbed a few Samsung drives (put them in external enclosures), and I'm anxious to see how they hold up long term. But back to Seagate. I don't think you'll go wrong with it.

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekboy2000
...my once preferred drives (Maxtor) have gone down the tubes in terms of reliability....
That's strange, because Seagate owns Maxtor. Link

Thanks for the info, geekboy.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Seagate just bought Maxtor not that long ago. Maxtor drives were starting to get pretty bad at the end before the buyout. A lot of users on Anandtech Forums were having Maxtor drives dying on them. I had 2 die in a row.

I have had very good luck with Seagate like geekboy2000 stated. I have an 80GB, 2-120GB's and a 160GB SATA, the drive in my older Mini is a Seagate Montmentus, and all have been GREAT drives.

Hope that helps you out.

...Dennis
QUOTE Thanks
geekboy2000

geekboy2000 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A

Another thing I noticed with Maxtor drives vs Seagate (and others) is that they draw more current. I haven't looked at a Maxtor label *real* recently, and I'm writing from memory, but I believe the label on most reasonably current Maxtor drives show900MA to 1000MA (off the 12V line), as opposed to about 500MA for a comparable Seagate. That can add up in a multi-drive system (thinking Windows PC). I also find Seagate drives to be among the quietest out there. I had replaced the Maxtor drive in my TiVo (before dumping TiVo) with a larger capacity Seagate, and it was virtually silent. The Maxtor "chatter" could be heard across the room (with no other ambient noise, of course). Seagate's 5 year warranty isn't hard to take either.

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I've always been fond of Maxtor’s but have read that their quality has gone downhill as of late (I have not bought a HDD from them in over a year). As of right now, all of my Drives are Maxtor’s and I have not had one fail in several years (knock on wood). I also purchased a couple of large (300Mb) Samsung Hard Drives and will be interested to see how well they hold up.

QUOTE Thanks
Bill Gates

Bill Gates is an unknown at this point

It is not a very good monitor, and for £1600 it is very very overpriced. Not recommended.
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gates
It is not a very good monitor, and for £1600 it is very very overpriced. Not recommended.
Uhhh...Thanks?

QUOTE Thanks
wicker_man

wicker_man will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD

I currently have an 80GB Seagate in my iMac G3 and it runs nicely, fast and quiet (the iMac is fanless).

I have a 200GB Maxtor drive in a firewire caddy that's rubbish. I only had it a year, but it is noisy and has loads of corrupt warnings (mainly on my windows laptop) and has sometimes shown up as totally empty and needed a reformat.

Summary: Maxtor = useless, Seagate = excellent.

MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz, PowerMac G4 Cube + 17" LCD Studio Display, 2x1TB WD My Book Studio (FW800)
iPod Classic 160GB (Black), 3rd gen 40GB, iPhone 2G 16GB + Denon AH-C551K
NAD C370 + B&W 686 + Grado SR80
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« getting a G5 | Need an online store to buy ram »