New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

g4 tower hard drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Wapa18

first of all, merry christmas to everyone! i hope everyone has a great holiday
now on to my question...i'm looking to put a second hard drive in my mirrored drive door power mac g4. i know that it can hold up to 4 hard drives, but i can't seem to find anywhere a recommendation on what exactly i should get. from what i understand, it has an ATA100 and an ATA66 bus, but would performance be better if i put the second drive on the ATA100 bus along with the original drive, or if i put it on the ATA66 bus. i know that the ATA100 bus is obviously goin to be faster, but would the system be bogged down if it had 2 drives on that 1 bus?

another option i heard about would be to get a pci ATA133 card and put a drive on that, but i haven't even looked at what prices would be for somethin like that. or would it even be better to get a FW800 card and get an external drive? sorry for all the questions, and on christmas, too

i'd really appreciate anyone's input; i realize now that i haven't done much research...i guess that'll go on my to do list. thanks in advance for your help, and thanks for even reading this mother-of-a-post. and again, i hope everyone has a great holiday!!
QUOTE Thanks
ipmedia

Use the ATA100 interface, forget the 66. If you're looking for more speed, then you should look into the ATA133 controler PCI cards. Sonnet has a really good one on thier site. And, if you're intending to put in drives larger then 120 (or 180 GB, not sure), you'll need the ATA133 card because the 100 & 66 controlers can't handle these sizes.
Hope that helps.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« .dual 450mhz video card. | Going to switch. Mac concerns. »