New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Boot Camp! Apple releases for Win XP!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Beemer

Beemer will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Intel 20" Mac

Yeah I was trying to get a SP2 disk from someone to borrow, I would buy one but thats in the $100 range just to test in BETA stage. Nah. I will keep looking.
QUOTE Thanks
more151please

i tried it last night... i did not have SP2, just the first XP disk that i had laying around. IT did work quite well. However, not sure if if was just me but, i could only get the screen to be like 1/2 or 1/3 being used. It was like the widescreen movie channels (using a Samsung 215TW monitor). But for the working aspect (OS) it ran really fast, compared to that of virtual PC i tried running on my powerbook g4 while back. It was a world of difference. I too love OSX, but there are certain things i like about XP too... used to be windows user about 3 years ago. I do look forward to advancements to the beta software and the new OS in general.
QUOTE Thanks
dohidied

dohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by earltash
What Idiot wants to run Windows if you have a Mac running tiger. Sounds real Dumbass to me.................

Is that even English?
QUOTE Thanks
Harryc

Quote:
Originally Posted by more151please
i tried it last night... i did not have SP2, just the first XP disk that i had laying around. IT did work quite well. However, not sure if if was just me but, i could only get the screen to be like 1/2 or 1/3 being used. It was like the widescreen movie channels (using a Samsung 215TW monitor). But for the working aspect (OS) it ran really fast, compared to that of virtual PC i tried running on my powerbook g4 while back. It was a world of difference. I too love OSX, but there are certain things i like about XP too... used to be windows user about 3 years ago. I do look forward to advancements to the beta software and the new OS in general.
Take my word for it, you need XP with SP2 slipstreamed to do a proper job with Boot Camp. I used this howto and it worked for me.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

Here's the result, linked below ... (You're seeing side by side desktops because I am spanning to a 19" LCD.) Note the spyware removal tools and NAV .

Boot Camp Screenshot
QUOTE Thanks
playm0de

playm0de has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 20 inch iMac Core Duo

ok so I went through the steps only to find out my cd key is invalid. My friend is coming over later tonight to redo the whole process with a valid copy of xp. My mac is still at the windows setup and I cant exit it. To get back to macOS and then install windows later, should I just turn off the computer?
QUOTE Thanks
Harryc

Quote:
Originally Posted by playm0de
ok so I went through the steps only to find out my cd key is invalid. My friend is coming over later tonight to redo the whole process with a valid copy of xp. My mac is still at the windows setup and I cant exit it. To get back to macOS and then install windows later, should I just turn off the computer?
Yeah, you can hold down the option key on boot and select your OSX volume. When you get the right CD, just start Boot Camp again and have at it.
QUOTE Thanks
pdobek

I just switched to Mac world, but there are a few Windows apps I still need to use for work. Now that I can install Windows on my Mac I can get rid of my hulking ugly Dell. However I have a few questions before I go ahead with this that I'm hoping someone can help me with:
- How easy is it to uninstall Windows once done?
- Can the partition size be changed after installation?
- Will my wireless keyboard work in Windows?

I have many more questions, but these are the burning ones I have right now. I would appreciate any help.

Paul
QUOTE Thanks
Harryc

It's very easy to uninstall. Bootcamp will revert your OSX volume to it's original state if you decide to take that option. Wireless keyboard is no problem as long as it has windows drivers, and even so it may not need them. I am using a wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse.
QUOTE Thanks
Beemer

Beemer will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Intel 20" Mac

So I take it that the wireless keyboard and mouse from mac won't work when using XP?
QUOTE Thanks
playm0de

Thought I posted that I installed Windows but I guess not. Anyways, I did it this afternoon. One question, boot camp says its a trial version...how long does it last?
QUOTE Thanks
dohidied

dohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz

it lasts until 10.5 comes out or september 30, 2007, whichever comes first. apple hasn't said whether it stops working at that point or if it's just illegal to use it past that point. i hope it's the latter. i'll buy leopard, i just don't want to have to do it right away.
QUOTE Thanks
Harryc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer
So I take it that the wireless keyboard and mouse from mac won't work when using XP?
Even after installling the Macintosh Drivers CD, the Apple Remote Control (IR), Apple Wireless (Bluetooth) keyboard or mouse, Apple USB Modem, MacBook Pro's sudden motion sensor, MacBook Pro's ambient light sensor, and built-in iSight camera will not function correctly when running Windows.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...um=303572#faq1

But there may be a workaround...

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....4500&tstart=30
QUOTE Thanks
playm0de

I played call of duty last night....so awesome.
QUOTE Thanks
iRepublican

iRepublican is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IMAC 20" Intel Core Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by earltash
What Idiot wants to run Windows if you have a Mac running tiger. Sounds real Dumbass to me.................
Are you a "special needs" child. :dummy:
QUOTE Thanks
adiemask

adiemask is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac Intel Duo 20"

Thats the bluetooth mouse and keyboard working, anybody get the 'isight' camera working on the 20" Imac?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« whats faster - powermac g5 or intel imac | Restoring My Mac mini »