New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - Install memory in matched pairs?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bigbadandugly

I read somewhere that Apple recommends installing memory in matched pairs, meaning that I shouldn't buy a base iMac or mini and then install a 1 GB stick to bring it up to 1.5 GB. Any truth to this?

Cory
---
Potential iMac or mini purchaser
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

From the Apple info about the Intel mini: "For optimum performance, it is recommended to use two SO-DIMMs (one in each slot) of the same DIMM size (e.g. two 512 MB SO-DIMMs)." Also, according to the same tech-note, the base model comes with 2 256mb modules, not a single 512mb. Swapping one for a 1gb module will give you 1.25 gb and a 256 keychain decoration. In reality the performance difference between matching and non-matching memory setups is small. A bigger concern is the costs involved if you choose to upgrade in pairs.
QUOTE Thanks
playm0de

playm0de has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 20 inch iMac Core Duo

What about for the iMacs...I was thinking of getting a 1 gig stick to complement my 512 stick.
QUOTE Thanks
xbrian87

I put a 1gb stick into my 17" Duo iMac and it runs GREAT.
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by playm0de
What about for the iMacs...I was thinking of getting a 1 gig stick to complement my 512 stick.
As I understand it, the Intel iMacs use a different memory setup. There is no benefit to matching modules and no problem using different sizes together. Apple even notes that they will ship with different sized modules depending on the customer's order.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G$ Quicksilver won't boot w/DVI connected | Help I Dunno What Utilities To Use!!!!! »