New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - New to mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

2J4EZ

2J4EZ is on a distinguished road

Hello all,this is my first post

never used a mac but,
I am realy thinking of getting a mac because I am sick of windows crashing all the time i have a few questions about mac

I got a digital camera my pc shows it as another drive will this work on mac?
I got a standard mp3 player again will this work on mac? (pc shows it as another drive)
I got a memory card reader will this work on mac?
and can i get a tv card for mac?
Also i got a 300GB hard drive for my PC would this work on the mac or could i use it in my external box (that also shows up as another drive)

i just recorded a program on my pc just before the end of the program WINDOWS crashed! and i lost the program

If i get a mini mac could this be used a windows desktop replacement?

Thanks for your time

Jez
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2J4EZ
Hello all,this is my first post

never used a mac but,
I am realy thinking of getting a mac because I am sick of windows crashing all the time i have a few questions about mac

I got a digital camera my pc shows it as another drive will this work on mac?
It depends on the camera. Here is a list of cameras compatible with Macs

Quote:
I got a standard mp3 player again will this work on mac? (pc shows it as another drive)
Yes. Here is a short list .

Quote:
I got a memory card reader will this work on mac?
Yes

Quote:
and can i get a tv card for mac?
No. As far as I know there are no inbuilt cards for minis. Here is a link to an external TV card

Quote:
Also i got a 300GB hard drive for my PC would this work on the mac or could i use it in my external box (that also shows up as another drive)
You can connect them like a local network. Then you can use it just like a normal external HD. Only problem is the speed.

Quote:
i just recorded a program on my pc just before the end of the program WINDOWS crashed! and i lost the program

If i get a mini mac could this be used a windows desktop replacement?

Thanks for your time

Jez
OS X is the best replacement you can have. It is stable, reliable and easy to use. I do think the products are bit over priced but you will get the moneys worth over the time.
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

novicew covered this pretty well, I would just like to say one thing.

With the cameras, basically every digital camera will work either with iPhoto, Image Capture or as a drive on the desktop.

Also with the MP3 player if it comes up as a drive on the PC it will most likely come up as a drive on the Mac and you will be able to use it just fine. But if it doesn't come up as a drive for some reason you can use XNJB

QUOTE Thanks
2J4EZ

thanks for your replys i will start saving but will keep my laptop just incase of anything thats need windows if my camera does not work then i can put the memory card in the card reader and access my pictures

thanks again starting to learn there is sooooo many OS's thats are better then windows
QUOTE Thanks
2J4EZ

just one other thing i just got my self a 19TFT flatscreen with 12s response time its got standard connector i see on the mini macs its got a DVI conector can i buy a adaptor for this?
QUOTE Thanks
Pierre

Pierre will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive

Quote:
just one other thing i just got my self a 19TFT flatscreen with 12s response time its got standard connector i see on the mini macs its got a DVI conector can i buy a adaptor for this?
The mac mini comes with a DVI to VGA adapter.

Other adapters (if necessary) are available for purchase.

--P

Macbook: 2ghz Core Duo, 2gb Ram

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Top-Cat

Top-Cat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27 (2011) Intel Core i5 Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz Total Number of Cores: 4 Memory: 12 GB

Hi, I am a new mac user and I am having trouble backing up my files with Time machine, I plug in my external hard drive and no icon comes up on the desktop for me to open, also time machines won't open if the icon isd not there?? any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
Toranaga

Toranaga is on a distinguished road

I recently switched to mac and love it. But I did not do it because of better stabillity. A normal Windows 7 install on stable hardware should be just as stable as OS X. At least mine never crashed.

iMac 27"/i7/256GB SSD/2TB/12GB - Macbook Air 13 (2011) - iPhone 4
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Cat View Post
Hi, I am a new mac user and I am having trouble backing up my files with Time machine, I plug in my external hard drive and no icon comes up on the desktop for me to open, also time machines won't open if the icon isd not there?? any ideas?
Why would you bump up a nearly 5+ year post and put an unrelated question there? You are better of creating a new post with your question to get it properly addressed..

How are you plugging in the external drive? USB? Does that USB port detect other devices? Is the external drive already formatted or not? With the drive plugged in, if you open up the Time Machine preferences, can you choose the external drive as a the backup location?

Regards
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Strange lines appearing onscreen | Lifelong PC Guy Considering An iMac - Need Advice »