BrianP
    Firewire power options?
    Hello All,

I am running a dual 2.3 ghz G5 with a lacie D2 external hard drive attached. According to the lacie site, the hard drive will not power up/down with the computer if the computer does not cut power to the firewire bus when shutdown. I am also running a slightly older dual 2.5 Ghz G5 with the same type of Lacie drive attached. When powering up/down the 2.5 G5 the external drive also powers up/down (I assume this is because it cuts power to the firewire bus?) However, with the newer dual 2.3 the drive remains on all the time. Are there any settings that can be changed so it cuts power to the firewire when the computer is shut down? Thanks.

Brian

Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
    Brian,

I have the same drive, and same exact computer, and my drive *does* power down when I turn the computer off (or put it to sleep). I'd say turn off your computer and let the drive sit for a few minutes, sometimes they sense the lost connection and will power themselves off after a certain amount of time lapses.

I'm using a 160GB d2, connected via Firewire 400, into the back port on my dual 2.3 G5.
    Roger Michaels
    Apple Certified Consultant

PhilMac
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianP
    Hello All,

I am running a dual 2.3 ghz G5 with a lacie D2 external hard drive attached. According to the lacie site, the hard drive will not power up/down with the computer if the computer does not cut power to the firewire bus when shutdown. I am also running a slightly older dual 2.5 Ghz G5 with the same type of Lacie drive attached. When powering up/down the 2.5 G5 the external drive also powers up/down (I assume this is because it cuts power to the firewire bus?) However, with the newer dual 2.3 the drive remains on all the time. Are there any settings that can be changed so it cuts power to the firewire when the computer is shut down? Thanks.

Brian
    I recently had the power supply changed in my quad. When I got it back the firewire lacie drive did not turn off and on with the computer. Apparently the power supply unit was redesigned so even on similar machines the firewire ports may act differently. It took me a month to find this out! This answer came from apples engineering department and from amsys who do the warranty repairs. Has anybody else experienced this?

Thread Information