New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Is sleeping bad on the computer?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Beemer

Beemer will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Intel 20" Mac

Putting your computer on sleep mode after so many minutes, is it bad for the computer (intel imac)? I was OK with it but then when it slept it always signed me out on MSN so I just not let the screensaver turn on and screen shut off after a while, keeping the system up.

I was told shutting down computers every day is not good for them either, well at least for PC's.

So is sleep mode good for the computer? Or is it better just to have the screen shut off overnight?
QUOTE Thanks
geekboy2000

geekboy2000 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer
iMac - Is sleeping bad on the computer?
Other than the key indentations in your face, there's probably no harm in it. But seriously . . .

Quote:
Putting your computer on sleep mode after so many minutes, is it bad for the computer (intel imac)? I was OK with it but then when it slept it always signed me out on MSN so I just not let the screensaver turn on and screen shut off after a while, keeping the system up.

I was told shutting down computers every day is not good for them either, well at least for PC's.

So is sleep mode good for the computer? Or is it better just to have the screen shut off overnight?
All of my PC's, and now the Mac stay on all of the time. I have the screensaver kick in at 60 minutes, but otherwise, no sleep, no power saving options. It's my personal opinion that the less hardware goes on and off, stops/starts spinning, etc, the longer it lasts. I'm sure there are as many opinions as there are power management options though.

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekboy2000
Other than the key indentations in your face, there's probably no harm in it. But seriously
darn, you stole my joke.

well in theory it is bad for any computer to start up and shut down frequently, and it sitting at rest in either sleep or with the monitor off is the best way to keep it.

all of my computers stay on all of the time (because they are folding), but i have the screensavers set to about 15 minutes.

one concern of everybodys should be the electricity bill, keeping your computer on all day and all night uses a bit of energey and could hit you a bit at the end of the month.

my suggestion, let it go to sleep if you are not using it. macs rarely (if ever) freeze when coming out of sleep mode.
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Kyomii

Kyomii will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4

Quote:

I have a 7 year old PC and a 5 year old PC that always get shut down and they are still going strong with no hardware issues at all. However, if you are logging off for just an hour or two, it is probably best to put to sleep.

All the computers here get turned off at night, never sleep mode. Contrary to popular belief shutting off does not damage hardware, and neither does sleep mode.

Fondest regards, Kyomii

My Snapshots
QUOTE Thanks
Jabjabs

Jabjabs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB

True it's just the start up causes the pain. About the only problem is the power usage that's all, I'm running mini and aparently they run at about 15 watts when operating (internet/email etc) so it doesn't hit me much finacially at all.

Mac Life - Apple Mac computers news, forums and more...

http://www.finiteloops.com
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« psp managers and a mac | External hard drive issue »