Is sleeping bad on the computer?
    Specs:
    Intel 20" Mac
    Question Is sleeping bad on the computer?
    Putting your computer on sleep mode after so many minutes, is it bad for the computer (intel imac)? I was OK with it but then when it slept it always signed me out on MSN so I just not let the screensaver turn on and screen shut off after a while, keeping the system up.

I was told shutting down computers every day is not good for them either, well at least for PC's.

So is sleep mode good for the computer? Or is it better just to have the screen shut off overnight?

Specs:
    20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemer
    iMac - Is sleeping bad on the computer?
    Other than the key indentations in your face, there's probably no harm in it. But seriously . . .

Putting your computer on sleep mode after so many minutes, is it bad for the computer (intel imac)? I was OK with it but then when it slept it always signed me out on MSN so I just not let the screensaver turn on and screen shut off after a while, keeping the system up.

I was told shutting down computers every day is not good for them either, well at least for PC's.

So is sleep mode good for the computer? Or is it better just to have the screen shut off overnight?
    All of my PC's, and now the Mac stay on all of the time. I have the screensaver kick in at 60 minutes, but otherwise, no sleep, no power saving options. It's my personal opinion that the less hardware goes on and off, stops/starts spinning, etc, the longer it lasts. I'm sure there are as many opinions as there are power management options though.

Mark

Specs:
    i dont have no mac's
    Quote Originally Posted by geekboy2000
    Other than the key indentations in your face, there's probably no harm in it. But seriously
    darn, you stole my joke.

well in theory it is bad for any computer to start up and shut down frequently, and it sitting at rest in either sleep or with the monitor off is the best way to keep it.

all of my computers stay on all of the time (because they are folding), but i have the screensavers set to about 15 minutes.

one concern of everybodys should be the electricity bill, keeping your computer on all day and all night uses a bit of energey and could hit you a bit at the end of the month.

my suggestion, let it go to sleep if you are not using it. macs rarely (if ever) freeze when coming out of sleep mode.
    -chris
    MoTM honor roll...
    when?
    i dont remember

Specs:
    MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4

I have a 7 year old PC and a 5 year old PC that always get shut down and they are still going strong with no hardware issues at all. However, if you are logging off for just an hour or two, it is probably best to put to sleep.

All the computers here get turned off at night, never sleep mode. Contrary to popular belief shutting off does not damage hardware, and neither does sleep mode.
    Fondest regards, Kyomii

My Snapshots

Specs:
    1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
    True it's just the start up causes the pain. About the only problem is the power usage that's all, I'm running mini and aparently they run at about 15 watts when operating (internet/email etc) so it doesn't hit me much finacially at all.
    Mac Life - Apple Mac computers news, forums and more...

http://www.finiteloops.com

Thread Information