New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

27" iMac Replaced HDD having issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Brendan_85

Brendan_85 is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone,

My seagate 1TB HDD crashed,recently had it replaced with a WD1TB HDD through an authorised apple repairer.

Having issues with safari,the speed is very slow,When i use google most of the time suggestions don't come up.when i hit search it lags out and can take up to 20/30 seconds to go from the google screen to the results.And popups,installed ad block pro & it's taken care of the popups - however it's blocking a lot of sites,sometimes dozens at a time if i'm multi tabbing etc.at the moment it's blocking 8 sites with only 1 tab open!

Firefox runs fine,normal speed etc.Tried everything i can think of,even installed a virus scanning program and it comes up clean.

Would really appreciate any help or advice.Let me know if you need all the details of what hardware i have,It's just a stock iMac purchased in 2011...Before my hard drive crashed,never had any issues with my mac.was always super fast etc which is why i'm surprised as to why it would be running slow with a new HDD.It's not my internet.

Regards,Brendan.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

When the original hard drive crashed and the new drive was installed, how did you recover your data? And, did the Apple repair service install OS X for you? As far as the hardware is concerned, the WD drive was very likely a proprietary type drive for your iMac otherwise you would be having fan and heating problems if it wasn't. I think we can eliminate the hard drive as being the reason your Safari internet is slow.

Also since FF is running normally and the problem only appears to be with Safari, it's probably best to focus there. One thing you can try is reset Safari from its preference menu but that will erase History, cache, and your bookmark Favcons.

Also, you neglected to tell us which version of OS X you're running?
QUOTE Thanks
Brendan_85

I had my data backed up.

Yes,they installed the CD stock OSX operating system.

I then updated to Mavericks.

Yeah,i doubt it's the hard drive now,iv'e started using chrome - which is better than safari anyway imo.Iv'e already tried resetting safari,disc utility checks,anti malware scans....virtually everything i can think of.

I'm about to start a new semester of school,so the last thing i need is another crash...and i really don't feel like lugging my iMac back to the store again lol.

Is there another,more thorough scanning app i can run?

Thanks for your reply btw!

PS:

Forgot to mention,my original seagate 1TB HDD,was the faulty drive that apple offered to replace back in late 2012/early 2013.However i stupidly ignored the offer...thus having to pay $260 a few weeks ago.

My hardware:

27-inch, Late 2009

Processor 2.66 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB

Software OS X 10.9.4 (13E28)

I was considering a RAM upgrade,they quoted me $150AUD,I'm not even sure that i need extra RAM.

Last edited by Brendan_85; 07-16-2014 at 04:12 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

More memory would help but not at Apple's pricing. You can purchase from OWC or Crucial, and install yourself. Another 4Gb will fit the bill and much cheaper. For what it is worth I would have gone with my own clean install of Mavericks.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other.../8566DDR3S4GP/

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Brendan_85

Is it relatively easy to install RAM? When i had a quick look on replacing the HDD,decided it was a bit to full on to do it myself.

Anyway,think i may have found my problem.Pretty sure i have malware,"Dynamic Pricer" comes up in all search results,in all browsers.I cannot get rid of it.It's a marketing/advertising bug.Iv'e searched how to remove it with no luck! there's also random what i can only describe as "flashing" when i'm browsing...the screen flashes basically.Only when browsing though,not when I'm on my home screen/not on the internet.

I installed several apps,when i was setting up my new HDD so iv'e obviously picked up up with one of them.

Blah,what a hassle!
QUOTE Thanks
Brendan_85

OK,so as you can see ad block is now blocking over a thousand sites/adds or whatever.This screen shot was taken while using chrome,so it's now effecting both chrome and safari.

No idea how to get rid of this,and if i can't get any help here i'm just going to take it back and demand apple fix the issue - never had this crap happen with my old HDD.what a joke!

Last edited by Brendan_85; 07-16-2014 at 08:51 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

How to remove "Dynamic Pricer Ads" from your browser.

And you're going to blame Apple because you downloaded something you shouldn't have on your new hard drive?
QUOTE Thanks
Brendan_85

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
How to remove "Dynamic Pricer Ads" from your browser.

And you're going to blame Apple because you downloaded something you shouldn't have on your new hard drive?
I never had any issues previously,and now all of a sudden i'm bombarded with malware/spyware? I'm always downloading,installing apps etc and didn't have any problems at all for over 4 years! and now the day i get my new HDD,it's running like a slow piece of PC junk!

I'm just extremely annoyed with the whole thing to be honest.

And that didn't work,there is no dynamic pricer in any of my extensions/add ons.I already tried that while searching on how to fix the problem.

Edit:

Spent over an hour trying to resolve the issue,read the entire (windows based) article forwarded to me,still cannot get rid of 'dynamic pricer'.I cannot find one bit of info on how to remove the adware ON MAC.It's all windows based info.

I'm willing to paypal someone money if they can help me,i'm serious - i didn't spend money to get my machine fixed to have it run like a buggy malware infested PC.....this is the reason i switched form PC to mac and now I'm considering selling my mac and going back to PC.

Last edited by Brendan_85; 07-16-2014 at 10:47 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you using, or have ever installed, Genieo? Think the answer lies in something you have installed.

The Safe Mac Mac adware menace continues

And memory is easy. Little box under the iMac.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1423?viewlocale=en_US#4

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
pm-r

pm-r is a jewel in the roughpm-r is a jewel in the roughpm-r is a jewel in the rough

What are you using to find the bits and pieces you want to find?? Spotlight won't be enough - big understatement!!

If you don't have or are using them, download and use with or both "EasyFind" and "Find Any File" and search on words or parts of any associated name and have a look in their found lists.

Freeware applications and services for Mac - DEVONtechnologies
EasyFind for Mac | MacUpdate
Thomas Tempelmann - Find Any File
QUOTE Thanks
Brendan_85

Thanks guys,

Used both those apps to search for 'dynamic pricer'...nothing found,including hidden folders.Searched for 'dynamic'...it found a few suspicious sounding things in the app support folder.Deleted them,didn't fix the problem.Also searched for Genieo,no luck there either.

Iv'e gone through and deleted every single app that i downloaded,apart from VLC player - and a pirated copy of iLife and Office Mac,both of the copies were downloaded and installed after i was having the problems anyway.

would a system reset/erase/delete everything on the HDD and start again,with my instal disc do the trick?

Thanks heaps for your help guys!

Last edited by Brendan_85; 07-17-2014 at 02:41 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Well you could have hit the nail on the head with the pirated copies. Always expect problems. Some time ago a certain bay was distributing office suites with malware. Depends when in 2011 the iMac was purchased. Some came with Snow Leopard OS X.6 and an install DVD, and later in the year Lion OS X.7 which does not include discs as it was the start of the digital download era.

A clean install may be the go. You could format the drive and start with Snow Leopard, or download Mavericks and burn to a thumb drive, boot from that, format the drive and do the clean install. If you go that way, update using the Combo Updater.

QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

There is an adware issue on OS X that the built-in XProtect isn't catching. See this thread:
PopUp Misery. Please help

The OP there was having the exact same issues, only partially mitigated by using AdBlock and Ghostery. Running the Adware Removal Tool from SafeMac found adware and fixed it properly.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
pm-r

pm-r is a jewel in the roughpm-r is a jewel in the roughpm-r is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeisabeach View Post
There is an adware issue on OS X that the built-in XProtect isn't catching. See this thread:
PopUp Misery. Please help

The OP there was having the exact same issues, only partially mitigated by using AdBlock and Ghostery. Running the Adware Removal Tool from SafeMac found adware and fixed it properly.

A quick Google search on 'mac Mavericks adware issue' got several discussion hits that started early this spring and focused mainly on two culprits: "DownLite" adware and "Genieo" as has been mentioned on this forum I believe, and removal tools provided at those sites.

But I didn't think that the built-in XProtect was expected to catch and protect users when downloading pirated software, so maybe more normal users are actually protected. maybe...???
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
But I didn't think that the built-in XProtect was expected to catch and protect users when downloading pirated software, so maybe more normal users are actually protected. maybe...???
It's not. And when I learn that someone has been downloading pirated software, it's game over as far as I'm concerned. They're on their own from that point on. No help from our forums will be forthcoming.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mac won't startup | imac log in »