New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro version for audio/video

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sjenerik

sjenerik is on a distinguished road

Am an artist/musician. Am upgrading my computer from a 2008 Mac book pro to a Mac Pro. I need to be able to simultaneously run Pro Tools and Premier at the same time. Sound hasn't been an issue. It's the addition of video. I have three Glyph external FireWire drives and an RME audio interface. One Cinema Display and will get a second Thunderbolt Display for the video.

My question is will an earlier model of Mac Pro run well, such as a 4 or 5. Would prefer to not have to put out the $ for the new 6 if the older versions are overkill as is. Also any recommendation for GB of RAM and video memory is greatly appreciated.

I do tend to keep computers way past their obsolete date. But if it works it works.

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

When you get the whatever Mac Pro pop the Glyphs into the three additional bays. Internals will always run faster than externals. In your position my target would be a 5.1 model with 2.66GHz CPU's. GeekBench score for that unit is 20,048 and the MBP you now have is 3,332 for the 2.6GHz model. Bit of kickin' rear end eh?

And with your set up maybe 32GB of memory. The 2.66 will handle up to 64GB. Best video would be a late ATI Radeon such as 7900 series. Have a read of this link:-

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...or-Mac-Pro-5-1

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

An older Mac will work every bit as good today as it did when released. Obviously a newer, well-specced one will perform better, but what was top of the line a couple years ago will still get the job done as well as it did 2 years ago. I don't do audio work myself, but I'm guessing 16 GB is the minimum you should go with, probably 32 GB. As for a graphics card, get the best you can get.

One note... you said you plan to get a Thunderbolt Display. Only the current Mac Pros have a Thunderbolt connection, although I wonder if you can now get an upgraded graphics card for it. I don't know if you can use an adapter for a Mini DisplayPort with that monitor either.
QUOTE Thanks
sjenerik

Thank you. That's very helpful.

For my application, is there a compelling reason to get an 8 core over a 4 core? There are quite a few preowned models available in both.

As for the Thunderbolt, I was assuming I would need one to keep the video from being glitchy. Or is the glitch I'm experiencing primarily related to the CPU?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I would go with the eight core. Much more bang for your buck and generally costs not that much different. And the gfx card you are using now, the 8800GT, or the ATI Radeaon X2600, which were standard, are wimps compared to 7900 series.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
sjenerik

Bought this last night. The bench test on the 2.4 looked close to the 2.66. Am planning in upping the memory to 64. The video card tests looked better than the standard ATI 5770 in all the other boxes. But if I need to upgrade to the 7900, I'm cool with that.

The degree to which I hate shopping is truly staggering. . Need a plug and play system with minimal to no tinkering. Am way more psyched on my next audio release. But if I'm an idiot and bought the wrong one, please let me know. May be able to cancel the order.

MP-24-8C-M10A Apple Mac Pro 2x 2.4GHz Quad-Core (8 Cores) Xeon (Mid 2010) MC561LL/A
[Condition:Excellent]
[Memory:8GB (4x2GB) (included)]
[Hard Drive:1TB Hard Drive (included)]
[Hard Drive 2:Additional Hard Drive Not Included]
[Optical Drive:Built-in SuperDrive-DL (included)]
[Video Card:BFG GTX 285 (1.0GB) (included) ]
[Keyboard/Mouse:Keyboard and Mouse (NOT INCLUDED)]
[Displayisplay (not included)]
[Warranty:90-Day Warranty (included)] 1 $1,799.00

Btw. Here is an example of the type of sound I do. And yes, that album is made from cement.
Scot Jenerik: Soundtrack for the Dead: Eli - YouTube

Thanks for the feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
lclev

lclev is a jewel in the roughlclev is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Early 2011, i7, 16GB, 1TB HD; MB Air 13", Mid 2013, i5, 4GB, 256GB SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjenerik View Post
MP-24-8C-M10A Apple Mac Pro 2x 2.4GHz Quad-Core (8 Cores) Xeon (Mid 2010) MC561LL/A
[Condition:Excellent]
[Memory:8GB (4x2GB) (included)]
[Hard Drive:1TB Hard Drive (included)]
[Hard Drive 2:Additional Hard Drive Not Included]
[Optical Drive:Built-in SuperDrive-DL (included)]
[Video Card:BFG GTX 285 (1.0GB) (included) ]
[Keyboard/Mouse:Keyboard and Mouse (NOT INCLUDED)]
[Displayisplay (not included)]
[Warranty:90-Day Warranty (included)] 1 $1,799.00
I do a ton of video editing, and more than I like, sound correcting. That system will do nicely. Run it for a while. You may find a reason to upgrade to the ATI 7900 which is a much more beefy video card. I am a fan of the nvidia gtx family because Premiere will use the GPU acceleration but there are some ATI cards too just not sure which ones. I will tell you it makes a huge difference when you scrub. Way less rendering time.

You also might want to add more memory. The more the merrier. Both Premiere Pro and Pro Tools will use what you give them.

If, after you start editing, the video is still "glitching" or "jerky" check your hard drives. I have found if everything resides on one drive or the drive is getting full this will be the problem. Raiding helps but you still have a lot of mechanical moving parts unless they are SSD's.

Lisa
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Good buy and as OP states upgrading to 64GB of memory.

Sure you will enjoy Scott.

QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclev View Post
If, after you start editing, the video is still "glitching" or "jerky" check your hard drives. I have found if everything resides on one drive or the drive is getting full this will be the problem. Raiding helps but you still have a lot of mechanical moving parts unless they are SSD's.
This is an excellent point raised. We generally recommend keeping a minimum of 20% free disk space so it has room to breathe. Also, media professionals would see a lot of benefit from regular use of a defragger. There's a myth that OS X doesn't need a defragger because it does it automatically. That's partly incorrect... it auto defrags very small files only. Anyone who works heavily with large files should see noticeable improvements by regular defragmentation (though not on an SSD... never defrag those!).
QUOTE Thanks
sjenerik

Thank you all for the advise. Computer showed up today. Now I just need to get the cables to connect my two cinema displays to the VGIs on the video card . Or get a different video card with mini display ports built in. Oh, and order the SDRAM.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

All excellent advice so far. The only thing I would add concerns the hard drive. If you ever need to add new drives don't bother trying to capture to a 5400 rpm drive.

I haven't done nearly as much capturing as you do but I borked up some footage capturing to a brand new 5400 rpm drive a while back. I was shooting for a 7200 and got the wrong drive Everything captured too that drive had out of sync audio.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
sjenerik

For externals I have three FireWire 800 4TB Glyph drives. Can't recommend them more highly. Most stable drives I've ever worked with. http://www.glyphtech.com/products/gt...lery-front.jpg

For internals I have a bunch of 7200 of various sizes. With four ports, things look good for storage.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

You're right those beasts are pretty well set for storage opportunities. Until my 2006 version died I had two smaller drives each with a different OS that were mostly for the OS and the occasional need to dump a file if I was at a loss for space elsewhere. The other two bays held either 500 GB or 1 TB drives (don't remember which). At the time larger drives were a bit pricy. Since I wasn't doing video professionally I couldn't justify the cost.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
sjenerik

Found memory to upgrade to 64GB. But the shop says there is a 48GB max on a 4 slot machine. So rather than installing 4-16GB they recommend 3-16GB. Does anyone know if this is true? and if so why?

Was going to get
64GB kit (4x16GB) DDR3 PC3-8500: • (x72) ECC• DIMMs for 8-12 Cores Mac Pro Models with 8-Memory Slots

Recommended by MaxUpgrades
48GB kit (3x16GB) DDR3 PC3-8500: • (x72) ECC• DIMMs
maxupgrades.com: 48GB kit (3x16GB) DDR3 1066 MHz :ECC x 72 PC3-8500 - 240-Pin SDRAM DIMMs for Mac Pro 2009-2012 [Model ID: 4,1 : 5,1]
QUOTE Thanks
sjenerik

Updated response with more info.

Hello,

The system with 4 - Memory slots restricts the memory available on it to 48GB....it wont let the system to boot with all four 16GB populated...at this moment.

Although it sounds not that great ....but apple system ...does not allow 64GB on 4 Slots machines...yet.

It is a Hardware limitation...so far.

Best Regards
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mixing FB RAM with ECC RAM | How do I permanently delete a program that is in my Applications folder? »