New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

need advice on the fusion setups

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chewwie

Chewwie is on a distinguished road

Hi guys:

i hv this question thats bothering me for a long time. i want to get an iMac for our house, i would use it for entertainment and gaming while my wife occasionally does her photo re-touch with adobe in OSX. I want both speed and capacity on both systems, however i can only install windows on the HDD with boot camp. which will b slow in windoes. so i come up with this solution:

1. disable the fusion logic volume, hv the drives separated to the ssd and hdd. split both drives into 2 partitions. lets call them ssd1 ssd2 and hdd1 and hdd2.

2. and then i was thinking combining SSD1 and HDD1 to a new logic fusion drive and install OSX on it. and then use boot camp to install windows on partition SSD2 and use HDD2 for storage. so that i get both speed and capacity on both system. has any1 done that b4? or is that even possible to do? or if any1 got a better solution for it?

Or should i just disable the fusion setup and split the SSD to 2 partitions then install both systems on SSD and keep the whole HDD for storage?

you suggestions and thought will b much appreciated.

Thx
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I would split the SSD into 2 partitions and leave the HDD as one for data. My 2010 iMac has an SSD in place and an HDD. I use the HDD for media and some other space-consuming data (like iOS backups). If the HDD will be hosting data for OS X and Windows, format it for the Mac and get a Windows driver to read/write to it. Or split it also and format accordingly if the 2 operating systems won't be sharing data.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Old IMAC as monitor | Sound control »