New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Cannot remove Searchme from Chrome

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PaulTMA

PaulTMA is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

Following advice I've picked up online, I've removed the Searchme spyware from Firefox and Safari by doing so in their extensions folders. However, after following the same advice for my main browser, Chrome, I cannot see Searchme under extensions. My home page continues to default to their suspicious-looking yahoo page. How can I get rid of this entirely, for good?
QUOTE Thanks
lclev

lclev is a jewel in the roughlclev is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Early 2011, i7, 16GB mem, 1TB HD; MB Air 13", Mid 2013, i5, 4GB mem, 250GB HD

Hi!

It sounds like you need to change your home page.

I am assuming you know how to access the settings page in Chrome since you disabled some extension. If not, it is accessed by clicking on the three horizontal bars in the upper right hand corner at the end of the address bar.

Scroll down to settings and click. Look for "on startup" and look at the third radio button: Open a specific page or set of pages" Click on "set pages"

A pop up window will open. If you move your mouse over the offending url a grey "x" will appear on the right side. Click that to get rid of the offending url. You can also add a new preferred start up page here.

Hope this helps!

Lisa
QUOTE Thanks
PaulTMA

PaulTMA is on a distinguished road

Hi lclev.

Not only have I already removed Yahoo and the weird SearchMe 'tainted' Yahoo link from my Chrome search engines, I've set my preferred engine of Google as my home page. When I open a new tab, I get Google. However, when I open Chrome from scratch, I continue to get the SearchMe Yahoo page. Unlike Safari and Firefox, I can not fix this by removing it from the extensions tab, as it's just not there. This is why I'm a bit stuck here.

EDIT: fixed it now. apologies.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMAC dead in the morning | Company Apple ID account »