New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

SD card in slot

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lmhag

lmhag is on a distinguished road

An SD card was put into one of the slots on the side of my iMac. I'm not sure how it went in, but I can put another SD card into the SD slot and it can be read. The missing SD card doesn't show up on the desktop, and turning the computer on it's side doesn't dis-lodge it. Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Eh? Are you sure it's in the SD slot? I don't think it'd be possible to lose one in there. It's not in the DVD slot by chance? That's actually somewhat common to happen.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Are we possibily talking about one of those "teeny" micro SD cards stuck in the slot...and the 2nd SD card is a full sized one? This is assuming we are talking about both cards being in the same slot at the same time...and not the optical drive slot & the SD card slot.

Like lifeisabeach mentioned...I don't think that there's any way to get two full sized SD cards in there at the same time.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
lmhag

lmhag is on a distinguished road

The card is one that is almost 1" wide by 1 1/4" long. I am thinking it must be in the CD drive. Just don't know if there is any way we can get to it ourselves or should I just take it in to Apple?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmhag View Post
The card is one that is almost 1" wide by 1 1/4" long. I am thinking it must be in the CD drive.
There's a very very BIG difference between the size of the CD drive slot and the SD card slot (mentioned in post #1). Can you please confirm which one it is??

I'm pretty sure as well that it's the CD drive slot...since a full sized SD card can't get "lost" in the SD card slot that it was designed for.

Only thing I can suggest is DON'T DON'T DON'T insert any DVD's or CD's into the slot with an SD card "lost" in there. This may only make things worse!!!

Turn the computer on it's side (so the slot is facing downwards)...and try to hear if the SD card is moving/jiggling around inside. If it is...try to get it to fall towards the slot. If you can get the SD card just on the other side of the slot...you may be able to CAREFULLY "fish" it out with a thin piece of plastic (like a plastic knife or credit card)...or maybe & carefully try a paperclip (don't insert the paperclip too far).

If the SD card is stuck somewhere in there (can't hear it moving or jiggling)...then this issue is going to require more serious surgery.

Of course the iMac is a bit big & awkward to have on it's side while trying this...so you will probably need a 2nd person to help.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
I'm pretty sure as well that it's the CD drive slot...since a full sized SD card can't get "lost" in the SD card slot that it was designed for.
Another good reason for removing the optical drive from the latest Macs!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Another good reason for removing the optical drive from the latest Macs!
Ahh…I think that you may have stumbled on something. The "Apple Gods" are smarter than us. Who were we to question why optical drives were removed!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
nickyr

nickyr is a jewel in the roughnickyr is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2012 IMac 27", mid 2010 Macbook, OSX 10.10, iPhone 5, iPad 3, iOS 8, Apple TV 3, iPod Classic

as an aside, around 15 years ago when in work we had PCs which were the size of a large cardboard box, we got a CD with an important high court decision on to look at. a small crowd gathered around to read it.

my colleague inserted the CD into what she thought was the CD drive but was only a gap in the PC case

the sound of the CD hitting the bottom of the inside of the case will live with me forever as will the 5 or 10 minutes of howling laughter that followed from all around

one screwdriver later and the CD was rescued

what have the Roman's ever done for us?

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyr View Post
the sound of the CD hitting the bottom of the inside of the case will live with me forever as will the 5 or 10 minutes of howling laughter that followed from all around
I practically heard that CD hit the bottom of the case while reading that!lol

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Northroad52

Northroad52 is on a distinguished road

I absentmindedly stuck an SD card into the DVD drive on my iMac. It destroyed the optical drive, had to have it replaced at the Apple store, 200 miles away. They had it 2 days, I had to rent a room while waiting for it. Moral of the story is: don't put your camera cards in your iMac by "feel"!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northroad52 View Post
I absentmindedly stuck an SD card into the DVD drive on my iMac. It destroyed the optical drive, had to have it replaced at the Apple store, 200 miles away. They had it 2 days, I had to rent a room while waiting for it.
If it was me (rather than go thru all that)…I would have just purchased a $50 external optical drive.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Northroad52

External optical drive wouldn't have retrieved my SD card from the guts of the iMac!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
External optical drive wouldn't have retrieved my SD card from the guts of the iMac!
Yes that is true. But then again…I never would have taken it to Apple either. I do all my own computer work. But I understand if this is not your "cup of tea".

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Northroad52

I wouldn't have a clue as to how to take an iMac apart. Usually when I try working on that kind of stuff, it never works again!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I wouldn't have a clue as to how to take an iMac apart. Usually when I try working on that kind of stuff, it never works again!
Depends on the iMac model on how hard it is.

Everyone that has ever working on an automobile, hit a nail with a hammer, turned a screw with a screw driver, or worked on a computer...had to start somewhere.

There are some really excellent websites out there to help first-timers and experts as well...work on their computers. This is one we recommend often:

www.ifixit.com

But then again...it all depends on a person's interests...and how much motivation they have to save money. I like to SAVE MONEY (not pay someone else big bucks to do what I can easily do)!!!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sound control | Epson Expressions 1640XL problem »