New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

No signal from Mac Pro G5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

The Grumpy Cat

The Grumpy Cat is on a distinguished road

So I bought this off of Craigslist today for $40 and was told the graphics card wasn't working and that there was a red light. when I turned it on, it turned on, gave the chime, white LED, but no signal. Took the graphics card out to clean the dust off, then put it back in but it didn't do anything different. Something I noticed is that when I do turn it on my monitor turns on but get a black screen and goes back to standby mode after 5 seconds. So just for the hell of it I put in the graphics card from my other G5 that I bought for parts to use as a coffee table. Same thing happened. Pic of both of my graphics card, and the bottom one is from the model I bought today- http://imgur.com/BZnAsxQ

Worth replacing the graphics card? If not i'm going to do this and sell the interior parts of the G5 I bought today- http://bondbranding.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/g5-coffee-table11.jpg
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grumpy Cat View Post
So just for the hell of it I put in the graphics card from my other G5 that I bought for parts to use as a coffee table. Same thing happened.
Sounds like you have two bad graphics cards. The only way to know for sure…install a known good graphics card.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Well it is either a G5 Power Mac (PowerPC only) or a Mac Pro (Intel). It cannot be both.

How many optical drive doors are on the front? G5's have one, all Mac Pros two. And theybuse different gfx cards so can't help until know what you have precisely.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Well it is either a G5 Power Mac (PowerPC only) or a Mac Pro (Intel). It cannot be both.

How many optical drive doors are on the front? G5's have one, all Mac Pros two. And theybuse different gfx cards so can't help until know what you have precisely.
Nice catch Harry! Since the OP has two of these things...one could be a PM G5 and one a Mac Pro (or 2 Mac Pro's...or two PM G5's).

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Here's the photo of the OP's table (below). The one unit is definitely a PM G5 (one optical drive door).

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

'My other G5' inidcates maybe two G5's.

Then it depends on if it is a PCI-E, PCI-X or PCI graphics slots I guess. Very confusing those G5s with all that different channels. On this link hit Back to see older model cards:-

http://www.jcsenterprises.com/Japama...71F8A4087.html

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
'My other G5' inidcates maybe two G5's.
Most likely. Even non-working Mac Pro's (usually) sell for more than $40!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mail App not opening | Urgent reply required : »