iMovie too large
    I have been working a long time on creating an iMovie from old 8 mm movies which went through the 8 mm to VHS to DVD process over the years. This involved countless hours of editing, adding titles, transitions, and music, The resulting product is nearly 3 hours long but it plays well on the iMac in iMovie. I then created an iDVD file (Share > iDVD) with the hope of creating a disc image and then burning to DVD for sharing.

The iDVD file now tells me it is too large to burn and must be shortened. The obvious (?) solution is to break the iMovie into multiple projects but I don't know how to do that. Suggestions will be appreciated

Thank you

poppi

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Doesn't your DVD drive/burner have the ability to burn double layer disks? If it does, you could try that first. You will need to buy double layer disks which are sold in most stores that sell electronic gear.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Doesn't your DVD drive/burner have the ability to burn double layer disks? If it does, you could try that first. You will need to buy double layer disks which are sold in most stores that sell electronic gear.
    Thanx for the quick reply. I am not savvy enough to know if my iMac can burn double layer disks but here is the info listed. Does it answer that question? Is the -R DL or +R DL indicate double layer capability?

MAT****A DVD-R UJ-875:

Firmware Revision: DB09
    Interconnect: ATAPI
    Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
    Cache: 2048 KB
    Reads DVD: Yes
    CD-Write: -R, -RW
    DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
    Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO
    Media: To show the available burn speeds, insert a disc and choose View > Refresh

Also, the project in iDvd tells me "Your project exceeds the maximum content duration. To burn this project, remove some content." but does not tell me how large the file is.

I certainly cannot start over and create smaller projects.

HELP please

poppi

Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    Yes, the DL designation means the burner can handle dual layer DVDs. That should be enou space for the three hour project. If you are still having issues here's a thread that might be helpful .

I did see a couple of reports where users saved the project as a disc image in iDVD then completed the burn in Toast. If you don't have Toast though it's not cheap.

Post back if you have further issues. I love iDVDs menus but the program itself can be twitchy. Especially on longer projects.
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Exclamation Warning about buying double layer blanks...
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    Yes, the DL designation means the burner can handle dual layer DVDs. That should be enou space for the three hour project. If you are still having issues here's a thread that might be helpful .

I did see a couple of reports where users saved the project as a disc image in iDVD then completed the burn in Toast. If you don't have Toast though it's not cheap.

Post back if you have further issues. I love iDVDs menus but the program itself can be twitchy. Especially on longer projects.

Regardless what software you use, be aware that the drive can only burn double layer to discs labeled: +R DL not -R DL so be aware of this.. There's a big difference between the + and the - when it comes to Apple drives. Get the wrong ones and you might as well flush them down the toilet.

Thread Information