New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac Video Problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ipurr4u

ipurr4u is on a distinguished road

I have an iMac 5-6 years old. The video card has been crashing, and I get various colored lines over the iMac screen. Iím now using a Toshiba TV monitor and the Apple screen sharing app to watch Netflix and Amazon on it. (Toshiba DVD slot locked up after installation! I tried unplugging, but it still wonít eject the DVD.)
So:
Thereís the problem with the video card on the iMac,
which affects picture quality if using iMac DVD slot.

If using the Toshiba TV monitor connected to iMac:
The clarity of the streaming movies on the Toshiba screen isnít always satisfactory.
While streaming, movies freeze but audio continues;
or screen goes black during movie (no image or audio); I have to reload movie, and sometimes even that doesnít work. The speed test is ok per http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/.
On iMac, pop-up appears from Silverlight every time I start or restart to stream a movie.

A friend recommends getting a Mac Mini, and also a superdrive, but thatís almost more than half the cost of a new 21Ē iMac, plus technician, though Iíd still have to purchase a superdrive for another $79.

Iím disappointed in Apple due to the failure of the video card, and I really canít afford to keep trying different ďfixesĒ and paying a tech. (Iím a senior and not that savvy about tech things.)

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Should I sack the iMac and forget trying fixes?
Or, is the Mac Mini able to stream Amazon as well as Netflix and other online movies? Also,will I have to invest in a superdrive along with the Mac Mini to play DVDs?
Many thanks for any suggestions!
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

What does the pop-up from Silverlight say?
It doesn't have to be a Superdrive. Almost any external DVD drive will work.
USB is ok but Firewire might work better.
Look here for drives: Other World Computing (OWC) - Performance Upgrades For Your Mac

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
QUOTE Thanks
ipurr4u

Silverlight says: "Do you want to allow the web site to stay in full screen mode when interacting with another window""
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud of

It's saying that because you have 2 monitors and it wants to know whether to stay full screen if you click on the other monitor.
It should have a "don't ask again" button on the alert. Click it.

Cant help with the video problem other than to say check your resolution settings and make sure the tv can support whatever you're using.
Which do you have as the 'main' screen? The iMac or the tv? How exactly is it connected?

QUOTE Thanks
ipurr4u

I'm using the TV as a screen to watch movies streaming from Netflix and Amazon.

The TV is an HDMI, so I'm assuming that's high resolution?
QUOTE Thanks
ipurr4u

The iMac is a 2009 running Snow Leopard.
Uh, I think I see the problem in picture quality. iMac resolutio is 1920 x 1200
Toshiba tv is 1600 x 900
Duh, bad news.
QUOTE Thanks
ipurr4u

The connection: PTC Mini-DVI to HDMI Adapter with 6 ft. HDMI Cabe for Macintosh. BTW, thanks so much for helping and your patience!
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

The lower resolution will give a slight decrease in picture quality. It should be perfectly watchable though.
Also if you're having problems with the gfx output on the imac it might reflect in the HDMI output also (I'm no expert).
I'm assuming you're not using mirroring mode? Also try another HDMI cable. They do vary in quality (tho not that much. I don't recommend a Monster [expensive] cable).

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Intel Pro Mac lost power unable to power on | Dual monitors »