New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

reinstall word 2011 home/student

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

savedbygrace

savedbygrace is on a distinguished road

somehow lost new document/save etc icons on ribbon. tried to "reset" ribbon's defaults, but...oops
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I'm sorry but our crystal balls are out of order today....

What ribbon? What application? Which Mac do you have? What version of OS X are you running? Sorry about all the questions, but if you want help you have to help us help you.
QUOTE Thanks
savedbygrace

sorry! rookie here; 2-3 post to forum. ok mac os x 10.8.5 word 2011 and forgive me haven't learned how to attach anything to post. hey let me now how to do that; have a jpeg of the "ribbon"
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

MBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP17 2010 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9.5 • MBA11 2010 4GB 128GB 10.9.5 • TC 2TB • TV3 • iOS bunch

Are you talking about icons on a Word toolbar? Something similar to this?

( ^^ this is, of course, an OpenOffice, not Microsoft Office)

If you are talking about toolbar icons, I'm sure someone, proficient in MS Office, will be along shortly to help, I don't use it, so wouldn't know ... but I suspect the problem has nothing to do with operating system as such...

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedbygrace View Post
somehow lost new document/save etc icons on ribbon. tried to "reset" ribbon's defaults, but...oops
OK, at least we know you're referring to Word for Mac 2011. The reset toolbar command should work to get back all the default icons that are on the ribbon or top toolbar. You can also use the "customize toolbar" command to put back any icons that have been removed or accidentally deleted.

If either of the above do not work, you may have to delete your "normal template" and let Word build another which will reset all the defaults. Follow the directions given here.
QUOTE Thanks
savedbygrace

sorry it took so long to get back to this post...let's see if i can send a pic of the "ribbon"
QUOTE Thanks
savedbygrace

well..how about reloading word 2011 mac os x. that would eliminate the problems (yes there is more than one) oops
QUOTE Thanks
pm-r

pm-r is a jewel in the roughpm-r is a jewel in the rough

I wonder if this got misposted and should have gone to the other thread instead???:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-...on-ribbon.html
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Not an easy job removing Office 2011.

Talking about that, Charlie have you ever tried this uninstaller, and if so with what results please?

Downloads | Fix-KB

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

No Harry, unless it's from Microsoft, I don't trust it. Office 2011 scatters files and folders in many places. Even after following Microsoft's instructions, there are still files and folders left over that have to be manually removed.
QUOTE Thanks
pm-r

pm-r is a jewel in the roughpm-r is a jewel in the rough

This seems like a pretty complete removal guide:

How to completely remove Office for Mac 2011

Or maybe if one has several to remove:

Remove Office | OfficeforMacHelp.com
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

The Microsoft instructions are fairly complete. However, as I stated above, it still leaves files and folders that must be removed manually. Been there, done that twice.
QUOTE Thanks
savedbygrace

figured it would be a pain to uninstall and reinstall word 2011...my luck i'd blow up my mac so....i have tried to find a "photo" of the "ribbon" over a word document but no luck. now when i do the find command, instead of going to the top right a dialog box to the left of the document opens and you enter the word to find. well that will teach me to "play" with the "buttons"
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Merged threads.

The find box in the upper right should be accessible as long as the standard toolbar is showing. Unless I'm misunderstanding, just go to View > Toolbars > Standard.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dual monitors | Advice on imac/mac mini purchase for work »