06-04-2014, 05:01 AM #1
Connecting a Mac mini to an HDTV and monitor sumltaneously
- Member Since
- Aug 10, 2011
- iMac (2008) 20" / Core 2 Duo / 2.66GHz / 320GB HDD / 6GB DDR2 RAM / Mountain Lion
I'm considering getting a Mac mini for my new place, and wanted to clarify something.
My idea is to have the Mac mini connected to the TV in the room via HDMI (for watching videos, movies, etc.) and at the same time have a LED monitor connected via the Thunderbolt/displayport. My questions regarding this are:
1) If I do the above, will both the displays have the same screen showing? I remember years ago I had hooked up my Windows desktop to a TV (via S-video cable) and my graphics card at the time had an option where any time I played a video, it would full screen it on the second (TV) display. In other words, I could carry on working/browsing/whatever on the PC while the video played full-screen on the TV, which was awesome. Is there a way to do this on the Mac?
2) Does the Thunderbolt/displayport transmit audio as well? If I get a monitor with built-in speakers, will it play sound or will I need to connect separate speakers for that?
3) I have read in some places that using a "mirror diplay" function will cause the secondary display (i.e. the TV) to use the same resolution and aspect ratio of the primary, which can result in empty space at the sides or top/bottom of the TV, depending on the resolution of the monitor. Has anyone encountered this, and if so, how do you work around it?
Thanks in advance.
06-20-2014, 09:11 PM #2
- Member Since
- Sep 14, 2011
- Romford, Essex, England, GB
- Mac Mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz C2D CPU, 4GB RAM, 2x500GB HDD) - iPad Air (4G, 16GB) - iPhone SE (64GB)
For my purposes as an engineering graduate; Windows is respectable (& generally necessary), Linux is admirable (& often useful), OS X is enjoyable (& requires no further justification, although plenty could be given)!
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By jordan91 in forum Apple NotebooksReplies: 5Last Post: 05-02-2011, 11:14 PM
By miketblack in forum Apple DesktopsReplies: 0Last Post: 09-02-2010, 11:17 AM
By uniball in forum Apple DesktopsReplies: 1Last Post: 07-12-2010, 10:21 AM
By KeeF84 in forum Apple DesktopsReplies: 0Last Post: 12-21-2009, 11:53 PM
By PaulOleski in forum Other Hardware and PeripheralsReplies: 7Last Post: 12-20-2007, 08:20 PM