New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

MDD G4 power supply problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

paulwgraber

paulwgraber is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone. I recently changed out a PS from my MDD Dual 1.4 GHZ model to my MDD dual booting 1.2 single GHZ model. Both PS were the same model except the 1.4 had some newer fans on it thus quieter so I swithed it out to my dual booting 1.2 model since I am getting rid of my dual 1.4 model. However, now once I hit the power button it clicks on for a sec and then shut rights off. Meanwhile, the other mac with the PS from the 1.2 powers and boots just fine. So whats up? I did add another HD to it but that shouldnt effect it right?
Did I fry the other PS, changing it?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwgraber View Post
Both PS were the same model except the 1.4 had some newer fans on it thus quieter so I swithed it out to my dual booting 1.2 model since I am getting rid of my dual 1.4 model. However, now once I hit the power button it clicks on for a sec and then shut rights off.
Since you are having problems...I would say that the two power supply's aren't as exact as mentioned.

The 1.4 has dual cpu's...the 1.2 has one cpu. Two cpu's need more "juice".

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Let me mention this as well. I think that power supplies can get "weak" over time. So maybe the PS from the 1.2 is getting old/weak...and putting it into a MDD with dual cpu's could be asking too much of it.

So the PS's could be the same...just that the MDD 1.2 PS is weak.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

There were two different power supplies, a 344 watt and a 400 watt. From memory, which is getting old and frail lol, the 400 will work in all models, the 344 in 1Ghz/1.25GHz singles. Sometimes the capacitors go and bulge. Have you taken the PS apart and checked these?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Replacement LCD screen for 2008 iMac A1224 20" | GPU issues 9,1 imac 24" »