New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Black screen while sound and programs are running

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

athinamj

athinamj is on a distinguished road

I have a new iMac 27'' late 2013 which I purchased almost 2 months ago.
Today I experienced a problem I haven't come across before. While the iMac was idle with programs running and sound it tried to get to sleep or screen saver mode and the screen went black with the 4 four edges of the computer white. I wasn't able to bring it back by using the keyboard and the mouse so I pressed the power button and restarted. My keyboard and mouse are both Logitech just to inform. I have Mavericks fully updated. How can I fix this issue and what might be causing it?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The Logitech keyboard might be the source of your problem. However, I would first try doing a SMC (System Management Controller) reset before assuming anything else. It's easy to do: Shut down your iMac, remove the AC plug from the socket and let the machine set that way for about 15 minutes. Plug it back in and restart. If the same problem occurs, I would go back to using the Apple wireless keyboard and mouse that came with your iMac to see if that cures it. If it doesn't, make an appointment with your local Apple store genius bar. Your iMac is still under warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
athinamj

athinamj is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your rapid reply.
I spoke to a technician and he told me that Skype may be causing the issue and that I should monitor it to see if it happens again with skype active or without. In the meantime, I performed a hardware test by restarting and holding down the D key. Everything was clear no problem detected. I will keep on monitoring it and I will update.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Voice Recognition | Imac 17" A1195 »