New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac Startup and New HDD Install Issues...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iRescue911

iRescue911 is on a distinguished road

I am attempting to repair a newer iMac for someone and it's acting very strange. They initially brought it to my attention because it would not boot properly. Upon startup, the machine would just sit at the grey apple screen with the spinning wheel and never move. It will not boot to Apple Hardware Test, OS X Recovery System, Startup from a disc or USB, or even do anything in target disk mode when I hook it up to a MacBook. Soooo I went and bought a brand new WD 1TB HDD and stuck it in there. I plug into a working ethernet and when I attempt to do a NetBoot Recovery I get a blinking globe for about 5-10 seconds and then it attempts to boot from the new (blank) HDD at which point it gives me the file folder with a question mark on it. I even tried booting from a retail copy of OS X Leopard v10.5.4 (which I've read won't even work for this application because this iMac is too new?) and all the machine will do after I insert the disc is continuously reboot itself every 3-5 minutes... The moment I take the disc out, it stops rebooting. Pretty stumped on this one. The inability to do any kind of hardware testing is not helping in the slightest so any insight or idea ya'll might have would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
T
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Alas Apple has made 2010 and later iMacs with a propritory hard drive and sensors and generally only use Seagate drives. Might be better to take it back to Apple if it has AppleCare 3 year warranty but if you opened it that may be voided. Read this:-

http://blog.macsales.com/16878-imac-...ility-expanded

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« time is incorrect upon startup | Urgent. I need a new Mac Laptop or an Apple Desktop under $700? »