New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

MacBook to purchase, info needed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

WilderMan

WilderMan is on a distinguished road

I need info about the most affordable MacBook. In between jobs ...
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderMan View Post
I need info about the most affordable MacBook. In between jobs ...
If you're talking new...go to Apple.com and take a look.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
WilderMan

Nick, thank you. I was hoping for a recommendation ... Because I will looking for a used MacBook, and I wanted to know what I should be looking for. T
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Same answer, only this time go to the Apple Refurbished Store and browse around. Only you can decide what fits your budget and needs.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nick, thank you. I was hoping for a recommendation ... Because I will looking for a used MacBook, and I wanted to know what I should be looking for. T
If you were looking for a used computer...you should have stated that in your original post.

What is your max. budget?

Technically (to answer your original question...since used is ok). The most affordable "MacBook" would be from about 2006...and would basically be something you would not be entirely happy with. So "most affordable" is not always the best way to go.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
WilderMan

Nick, you are right. I should have mentioned that initially. My budget? Unfortunately, less than a $1,000, without the bells and whistles. Thanks for the help. T
QUOTE Thanks
lclev

lclev is a jewel in the roughlclev is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Early 2011, i7, 16GB mem, 1TB HD; MB Air 13", Mid 2013, i5, 4GB mem, 250GB HD

So check out the apple refurbished store as chscag suggested.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...macbook_air/13

Refurbished MacBook Pro 13" - Apple Certified Refurbished Notebook Computers - Apple Store (U.S.)

There are serveral 13" MB airs under $1000. There is even a MBPro 13" for $999.00. Check it out. It changes constantly so keep checking until you find one that suits you.

Lisa
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Nick, you are right. I should have mentioned that initially. My budget? Unfortunately, less than a $1,000, without the bells and whistles. Thanks for the help. T
$1000 really isn't THAT bad of a budget! Member "lclev" mentioned some great options.

Buying something used is also a possibility.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
lclev

lclev is a jewel in the roughlclev is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Early 2011, i7, 16GB mem, 1TB HD; MB Air 13", Mid 2013, i5, 4GB mem, 250GB HD

I have purchased used off of EBay with excellent results. I will say I will spend a lot of time doing my homework. I look for their return policy, number of sales, reputation, location (US only), and prefer free shipping. I will watch several auctions of the item that I am looking for to make price comparisons. I prefer "buy now". I have been known to bid to the last second but I always set my top price and never go over it. I always use paypal to pay for that add level of protection.

My last purchase was my Macbook Air 2013. It came with 2 years 6 months of apple care still on it. For what I need it has been excellent. I saved considerably over new or refurbished but you need to know your prices. On eBay I have seen things sell for more than what a new or refurb from Apple would cost.

Just some options.

Lisa
QUOTE Thanks
WilderMan

WOW. Can't tell you how much I appreciate you all taking the time to respond, and give me some great tracks to run on. Very encouraged. Thanks! T
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

You are welcome. Good luck with the purchase.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Algus

Algus will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.5 ghz i5, 16 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD (5200 RPM)

Hi,

You might want to think about what exactly you are looking for in your computer: form factor? battery life? expected usage?

There are a lot of different kinds of Macs, new and used, that $1000 can buy. Perhaps all you need is the current Mac Air 11.6'' You can buy that new in its stock configuration and have money left over. Perhaps you want to hunt for an older rMPB. It is certainly possible to find that for $1000 USD as well.

Even though Apple only releases a few models every year, there is not a "one size fits all" device. If you are simply looking for a basic machine that you can use to check facebook and browse the Net, you could do worse then buy a Macbook from 2011-2012 and saving yourself a few hundred dollars. Only issue there might be battery life if the machine has been put through its paces.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Colourless file icons on desktop | Original Mac Pro 2.66ghz Quad »