New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMAC dead in the morning

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Paul in Toledo

Paul in Toledo is on a distinguished road

If I leave my 21 inch all in one iMAC on at bedtime in the morning the screen is black but the computer is warm. the only way i have found to get it to work again is to unplug the power cord and plug it back in.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Toledo View Post
If I leave my 21 inch all in one iMAC on at bedtime in the morning the screen is black but the computer is warm. the only way i have found to get it to work again is to unplug the power cord and plug it back in.
Which iMac? What version OS X?
QUOTE Thanks
Paul in Toledo

OS X 10.9.2

3.2 gHz Intel Core i3
4 GB 1333MHz DDR3
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5670 512 MB
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You're saying that the iMac is sleeping but it won't wake unless you unplug it and plug it back in? In other words, it's powered up, but the screen is off and the hard drive is not spinning?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Do you happen to have "Wake for network access" (better known as "Wake on LAN") enabled in the Energy Saver preference panel? If so, disable it. There is a bug in Mavericks where the OS will lock up while sleeping if enabled. I'm experiencing it also, and rooting it out was maddening.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

I have that particular item checked in my Energy Saver power settings and have not experienced the bug you refer to. Running Mavericks 10.9.3 on a 2013 27" iMac. Does Apple have anything to say about it?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I have that particular item checked in my Energy Saver power settings and have not experienced the bug you refer to. Running Mavericks 10.9.3 on a 2013 27" iMac. Does Apple have anything to say about it?
Seriously? I'm not sure what Apple has to say about it... maybe it only affects certain Macs. There was another thread here and MacInWin was familiar with it also. I haven't tried to see if it was fixed in 10.9.3 yet. I'll test it out tomorrow.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

As far as I can remember, I've had that item checked off in Energy Savings preferences since the day I turned on the iMac when I got it last November. It may be a combination of things that cause it not just the wake on lan by itself.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
As far as I can remember, I've had that item checked off in Energy Savings preferences since the day I turned on the iMac when I got it last November. It may be a combination of things that cause it not just the wake on lan by itself.
It could be. I gave up trying once I narrowed it down to that preference and simply left it off. I literally spent weeks beating my head against a wall until I decided to look at the logs and quickly saw what the problem was. ops:

Anywho, it appears that 10.9.3 has resolved this problem on my end. No lockups all weekend with WOL re-enabled.

So, back to Paul... update to 10.9.3 and see if that resolves your problem.
QUOTE Thanks
Paul in Toledo

thanks I unchecked it & will see what happens then try updating
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I would update to 10.9.3 also since you have 10.9.2 listed.
QUOTE Thanks
Paul in Toledo

July 1 I updated to 10.9.3 and the problem hasn't recurred. thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Check your current OS X versions number. Apple released 10.9.4 yesterday/last night. It contained a few more networking and wake from sleep fixes.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Now update to OS X.9.4 as Slu suggests. Important things these updates.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« passport photos | Cannot remove Searchme from Chrome »