New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Removing Twitter from iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bill Gates Jr.

Bill Gates Jr. is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac OSX Mavericks

A friend's son-in-law's friend loaded programs on to my iMac when new. Twitter was one of the programs. I trashed the icon, but where do I go to delete the program? Never Twitted.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Use AppCleaner to uninstall apps you no longer want.

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Bill Gates Jr.

App Cleaner could not locate Twitter. I also don't see it in my applications. Still I have a twitter update from the App Store...which I can't open as they want the original installers password to update.
I'll try to download twitter and see if that gets rid of the update, then remove Twitter.
QUOTE Thanks
Bill Gates Jr.

Cannot download twitter.
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

MBP17•David is a jewel in the roughMBP17•David is a jewel in the roughMBP17•David is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP17 2010 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9.4 • MBA11 2010 4GB 128GB 10.9.4 • TC 2TB • TV • iOS bunch

If you go to App Store | Purchases what does it show against Twitter, if anything?
  • If you see [Install] button, then you can secondary-click and Hide Purchase - it won't bother you with updates again (well, at least that's the theory) ...
  • If you see greyed out [Installed] button, then App Store thinks you have it installed, and it will be showing you updates. In this case you might need to contact Support and request a reset for this purchase.
  • Same, if you see an error message:

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks
chappers

chappers is on a distinguished road

Try using Reggie Ashworth's AppDelete. It has an option to find orphaned files. These are files left behind when an app is deleted. It includes things such as prefs files and the like. This may be why Twitter wont go away. Also if your friends son in law installed the app then he may have used his own apple ID to download it. This could be the reason you can't find it in ypur purchases
QUOTE Thanks
Bill Gates Jr.

Successfully downloaded Twitter under my ID. I will use AppDelete to delete it. Thanks for help from everybody. Hope things don't get worse when...if...I hit 71.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2014 iMac 27in. safe internal temperatures | Mac Pro....what to buy »