New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Which of these RAM upgrades should I buy for a Mac Pro 1,1?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aaron321

aaron321 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro1,1, 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 3GB RAM

Hello,
My Mac Pro 1,1 runs excruciatingly slow but my situation is obvious.
I upgraded the RAM a year or two after this computer's purchase (somewhere after 2006 to 3GB), but have been too lazy to go further with it. Nowadays, I am using files much larger, RAW photo editing software, and 1TB+ hard drives, and the 3GB is simply not cutting it! I decided I will upgrade my current 3GB of RAM to 11GB of RAM, and install a quad core processor instead of the stock "duo core".

But about the RAM, I first considered buying two sticks of 4GB RAM at $134.99 from Macsales.com:
2 x 4.0GB Matched Set PC5300 DDR2 ECC 667MHz 240 Pin
OWC OWC53FB4MPK08GB 8.0GB Mac Pro Memory Matched... in stock at OWC

But to me, this sounds kind of expensive considering I can get the same amount of RAM, (split up into 4 x 2GB sticks, as opposed to 2 x 4GB sticks) listed here on Amazon, for $54.28 (+2 year warrantee for $4.74) $59.02
8GB (4X2GB) APPLE MAC PRO MEMORY ECC FULLY BUFFERED DDR2 667 PC2-5300 FB DIMM NEMIX RAM
Amazon.com: 8GB (4X2GB) APPLE MAC PRO MEMORY ECC FULLY BUFFERED DDR2 667 PC2-5300 FB DIMM NEMIX RAM: Computers & Accessories

Here are my questions are before throwing down big coins on what could have been severe savings on RAM:

1) What do I need to know when choosing modules of different sizes? For example, is installing two 4GB modules on one set of risers exactly the same thing as installing four 2GB modules on two sets of risers?

2) If RAM for sale does not say "matched set" in the description, should I be concerned? I am unsure about "matched set" when seeing a description of RAM for sale because I thought that only referred to processors.

3) Looking at my current RAM configuration (see below), would it have been smarter to install the larger RAM sticks in the first Risers? (where the 512 MB sticks are) And, when installing my upgrade, should I remove the original 512MB RAM in Riser A (DIMM 1) & and replace them with the 2GB RAM? What should I do if the Mac Pro 1,1 rejects the 2GB or 4GB in the first risers?

THANK YOU FOR ANY ADVICE

My computer

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 3 GB (yeah, i know)
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP11.005C.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.7f10

My current RAM configuration is as follows:

DIMM Riser A/ DIMM 1.. 512 MB
DIMM Riser A/ DIMM 2.. 512 MB
DIMM Riser B/ DIMM 1.. Empty
DIMM Riser B/ DIMM 2.. Empty
DIMM Riser A/ DIMM 3.. 1GB
DIMM Riser A/ DIMM 4.. 1GB
DIMM Riser B/ DIMM 3.. Empty
DIMM Riser B/ DIMM 4.. Empty
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Get the Amazon ram. If for some reason it has a problem…return it.

For the other ram questions...see this:

How to Upgrade Mac Pro Memory (MacPro1,1/MacPro2,1) @ EveryMac.com

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
aaron321

aaron321 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro1,1, 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 3GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Get the Amazon ram. If for some reason it has a problem…return it.

For the other ram questions...see this:

How to Upgrade Mac Pro Memory (MacPro1,1/MacPro2,1) @ EveryMac.com

- Nick
Yes, I was looking at that page before. Great website, it is.
Aside from cost and brand name preference, does it matter if anyone uses larger or smaller RAM sticks? Isn't it supposed to be more effective if you buy the biggest ones possible and stick them on the first two risers?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron321 View Post
Isn't it supposed to be more effective if you buy the biggest ones possible and stick them on the first two risers?
I think as long as someone is following the proper ram installation procedure (proper order with the slots & riser cards)…I don't think that it matters.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

As long as you remember matched pairs. Have read the 512MB are not worth installing because of the small amount of memory and the increased heat. In my Mac Pro 2.1 days thebiggest bang for your buck is an Solid State Drive (SSD) in Bay One with the operating system on that.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Errors when attempting to copy Lg files on USB drive | 2014 iMac 27in. safe internal temperatures »