New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

What is Mac trying to tell me

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ivri33

ivri33 is on a distinguished road

photo(1).JPGWhen I try to start my first generation Mac Pro, I cannot even get to the OS installation window.
I get an image of what appears to be a Mac with a blinking black dot in the top right section of the image. The image also has an enlarged view of a button with an elongated vertical oval partially green and an arrow pointing up
I cannot find this image or error screen anywhere else to determine what the error is.
I have replaced the hard drive without success. Any help is GREATLY appreciated..
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

That's an image of a Magic Mouse and the Mac is telling you how to turn it on.

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

It's a wireless mouse and it's asking you to turn the mouse on.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

lol

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
ivri33

Wow! I knew i was missing something SO obvious! Thank you...I may be the exception to prove the rule that there are no dumb questions``
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivri33 View Post
Wow! I knew i was missing something SO obvious! Thank you...I may be the exception to prove the rule that there are no dumb questions``
Is everything working fine now?

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
ivri33

I`m not sure. The installation seems to have stalled at about 20 minutes remaining. This is part of the issue that caused me to replace the hard drive. Should I be accessing the Disk Utilities first
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I`m not sure. The installation seems to have stalled at about 20 minutes remaining. This is part of the issue that caused me to replace the hard drive. Should I be accessing the Disk Utilities first
Can you restate the installation problem?

- What you're doing?
- Why you're doing it?
- What the trouble is?
- What OS version are you trying to install?
- What media are you using to do the OS install?

I think that most of us were focusing on the issue in post #1 (the turning on the mouse image).

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
ivri33

Sorry! Thank you for all the help and patience...
I`m attempting to install OS 10.6.8
My Mac had an earlier OS (original to purchase). I installed from a DVD which I purchased directly from Apple. After about 2 weeks of sluggish functionality, the Mac would not fully start up. After running repairs and verify through the Disk Utility I rec`d an error message of a `hardware` error that could not be repaired. So naturally I did nothing for about 4 months. LOL

This week I ordered and installed a new hard drive. I also placed the original hard drive into bay 2. The OS installation disc is in the Mac, but the installation freezes at 20 mins remaining.

I tried a start up without the original hard drive in bay 2. The installation asks me to select the location to install the OS but there are no items in the selection field.

The diagnostics report that the Memory fails at start up test.
Mark

Last edited by ivri33; 05-08-2014 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Add`l information
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
The diagnostics report that the Memory fails at start up test.
Mark
- Which diagnosics report is this info coming from (what app is it coming from)?
- When you say "memory"...are you talking about the ram or the hard drive? Sometimes folks get this terminology mixed up...so just wanted to verify.

* Nick

QUOTE Thanks
ivri33

Thanks again Nick,
I ran the `system profiler`under the Utility menu from the Installation screen on the Mac itself. There is a Diagnostics option under the Hardware category which details a
`Power On Self-Test`
Last Run 3 mins ago
Result: Failed
Failure Type: Memory
Memory Slot: DIMM 1 DIMM Riser A
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Thanks again Nick,
I ran the `system profiler`under the Utility menu from the Installation screen on the Mac itself. There is a Diagnostics option under the Hardware category which details a
`Power On Self-Test`
Last Run 3 mins ago
Result: Failed
Failure Type: Memory
Memory Slot: DIMM 1 DIMM Riser A
Ok...thanks for verifying. That's definitely a ram issue. Did you have this problem ever before? Did you install any new ram recently?

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
ivri33

No, never had any issues until this..love my Mac!
I have not installed any ram, just the original from purchase.

Is there any type of formatting or set up for the new hard drive.
I just placed it in the bay and turned on the machine.

Last edited by ivri33; 05-08-2014 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Adding a Question
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
No, never had any issues until this..love my Mac!
I have not installed any ram, just the original from purchase.
If you are getting a ram error...I'm not 100% sure if this is a new or if it was an existing issue. Hard to say not knowing what was going on before all of the hard drive activities.

I'm probably shouldn't prevent you from using the computer...you may simply have less ram available for use.

Maybe we should get the hard drive issue resolved...then talk about the ram.

Quote:
Is there any type of formatting or set up for the new hard drive.
I just placed it in the bay and turned on the machine.
Yes.

- Boot the computer from the OS install DVD.
- Open Disk Utility (move mouse pointer up to where the menu bar would normally be...and some drop down menu's should appear).
- Within Disk Utility...you want to format the HD (Mac OS Extended-Journaled).
- Then quit disk utility.
- Continue with the OS install procedure.

* Nick

QUOTE Thanks
ivri33

WOW!!! That did it. The installation is complete and system fully boots up. I'm going to put the bum hard drive in bay 2 and see it I can recover any data.

Thank you SO much Nick!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bloody Macs !! | word for mac 2011 help please »