New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

How do I copy a mailbox folder to the desktop?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

frailin

frailin is on a distinguished road

Running 10.7.5 on a late model iMac.

I don't want to backup the whole email folder, just one mailbox full of about 200 email. Tried drag/drop, no luck. Tried export, ended up with jibberish. Tried copy/paste, nada.

Can this be done?

Craig
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

When you select to export a mailbox, it exports in program format. In other words, for import into mail. That's why you couldn't read it the same as you would from within the program. You could export the mail as text but that would be too tedious to do with 200 messages.
Why don't you use Time Machine or another backup program to backup your mail?
QUOTE Thanks
frailin

frailin is on a distinguished road

What's different about how time machine stores email? I know it would back up ALL my mail, but I only want one mailbox within.

The mail a project for the Smithsonian. I tried exporting as an mbox file, which is fine for today, but 50-100 years from now (to a future curator/historian) it will probably just be jibberish. That's why I'm hoping for another way to save these files. Thanks for the suggestions so far.... however, is there another way?

Thanks, all.

Craig
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

Your mail is stored in ~/Library/Mail/V2.

You should be able to see all your mailboxes in this directory if you drill down. The individual messages are stored with .emlx extensions, but they are actually in readable text, which is one of the main things I like about Mac mail.

You can easily copy messages and/or directories to your desktop-- just make sure you don't delete anything!

Hope this helps, and good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You can easily copy messages and/or directories to your desktop-- just make sure you don't delete anything!
This is even more tedious than what I suggested above about exporting the mailbox messages to text. It would be easy to do either way with a few mail messages, but not with 200 messages.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
This is even more tedious than what I suggested above about exporting the mailbox messages to text. It would be easy to do either way with a few mail messages, but not with 200 messages.
If the mail messages are already stored within a mailbox folder in the Mac Mail program (e.g. kept in a mailbox called "Smithsonian_Mail"), it's a single file/folder that needs to be copied to the desktop. The user will recognize the name of the mailbox very clearly.

I've done this hundreds of times. No need to get out the flamethrower.

Last edited by caribiner23; 05-06-2014 at 03:52 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
No need to be vicious.
LOL, are you in a bad mood today? No one is being vicious to you or anyone else. My understanding is that he wants the individual messages from the mailbox folder so that he can read them after the mailbox is exported. Anyway, I'll let the OP decide. We're through here.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« VM Fusion on Mac | No dvi output from Mac Pro? »