New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

MAC 24 external cd

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mjp101

mjp101 is on a distinguished road

Hi I have a 2006/7 MAC 24 with ann internal cd that does not work. Have tried cleaning it but no success.

I am now trying to connect an external USB cd/dvd drive but the MAC does not seem to recognise it.

Am I missing some sort of setup procedure?

Any help appreciated

Mike
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

There's no special procedure, and pretty much any external drive should work. There is one exception to this: Apple's DVD player will not play DVDs off an external drive. Well... maybe they will if it's an Apple-branded external DVD drive, but not any others I've used. What drive are you using, and what are you trying to do, or what is "failing" to happen?
QUOTE Thanks
mjp101

Thanks for response

It is a cheap external USB cd-ROM Dynamode is the name

I am trying to upgrade operating system to Snow Leapard on my son's MAC. I have tried another disc and neither actually load. I also can't see the CD drive under Finder. Beginning to wonder if I have the wrong CD drive. It odes not mention DVD on the box!

Mike
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp101 View Post
Thanks for response

It is a cheap external USB cd-ROM Dynamode is the name

I am trying to upgrade operating system to Snow Leapard on my son's MAC. I have tried another disc and neither actually load. I also can't see the CD drive under Finder. Beginning to wonder if I have the wrong CD drive. It odes not mention DVD on the box!
BINGO! If it doesn't have a DVD logo on it, then it likely doesn't support it. This one, for example, is CD-only.
QUOTE Thanks
mjp101

Yep Bingo. Cheers.

Thanks to Maplin for swapping.

Wait for more posts as I go about upgrade!

MIke
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Possibly a Hard Drive crash, can you help identify | iMac not starting »