New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Bad Boot Drive?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tryptic

Tryptic is on a distinguished road

Hello Mac-Forum,

My desktop has been having issues lately and I just wanted a second opinion.

My set-up
MODEL: Mac Pro Mid 2010 desktop
PROCESSOR: 2 x 204 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
MEMORY: 6 GB 1066 MHZ DDR3 EC
GRAPHICS: ATI RADEON HD 5770 1024 MB
SOFTWARE: Running Mac OS X 10.7.5 (11G63)

My computer is a little over two years old but it has been freezing on me a lot. No beachball, no keyboard, just a frozen arrow.

I believe my boot drive is going. I have backed up all my important files and am ready to try replacing the drive. I can get the same model drive originally installed for about $60.

I just want reassurance that all I need to do is replace the drive in the bay and reload my OS. Seems too simple.

Thanks in advance,

-Mike
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
I just want reassurance that all I need to do is replace the drive in the bay and reload my OS. Seems too simple.
It is simple and since you have a Mac Pro, getting at things is so much easier than with my iMac. If you intend to replace the drive, now is the time to replace it with a larger faster model or even a SSD.
QUOTE Thanks
Tryptic

Thanks chscag,

Love your Avatar.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Have you tried using Recovery and Repair Disk to see what Disk Utility bsays about the hard drive?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Tryptic

I have done all the easy recovery "apps" that I know.

What is this about a bootable thumb drive? How does that work? I've never heard of that.
QUOTE Thanks
ferrarr

ferrarr has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2011 15" MBP Quad 2.2 I7 OS X.9 16GB 240GB SSD & 500GB (no Optical drive)

You can use this, DiskMaker X, to make a bootable USB installer. You need to have the Lion, Mountain Lion or Mavericks installer file downloaded from the Mac App Store. They work great, I had a DVD of Lion, but then the files got too large for DVDs so I made flash drives and SD cards for the others.

iPod 5th gen 30gb, iPad 2 16gb WiFi iOS 7, iPhone 4s 16gb iOS 7.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Recovery is not an 'easy' application but part of the operating system, a built-in set of trouble shooting utilities.. Read this and try it:-

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Tryptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
You can use this, DiskMaker X, to make a bootable USB installer. You need to have the Lion, Mountain Lion or Mavericks installer file downloaded from the Mac App Store. They work great, I had a DVD of Lion, but then the files got too large for DVDs so I made flash drives and SD cards for the others.
Thanks for the info, I'll have to give it a try.
QUOTE Thanks
Tryptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Recovery is not an 'easy' application but part of the operating system, a built-in set of trouble shooting utilities.. Read this and try it:-

OS X: About OS X Recovery
Sorry for the imprecise wording. I meant 'easy' to mean 'the first thing I tried' and "apps" should have been "utilities". My apologies.

I'm definitely going to try the Mac OS X Recovery system, I'll let you know how that goes.

Thanks for the info.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac not starting | New iMac 21.5" »