Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Desktops (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/)
-   -   Choice iMac - MacbookPro (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/310482-choice-imac-macbookpro.html)

Charlesdc 04-14-2014 06:09 AM

Choice iMac - MacbookPro
 
Hello everybody, my name is Charles and I have a question concerning a problem I have with choosing a new hardware mac-machine.

- Mods, please move this thread if it's posted in the wrong location.-



Currently I own a 2010 Macbook Pro 13" 2,4-GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. After 4 years of everyday use it's starting to lag a bit. I decided to buy a new computer and I want it to be a Mac.
Now the problem is that I don't know what to choose. Should I go for the new 15-inch Macbook Pro 2,0-GHz Retina-display OR for the 27-inch iMac 3,2 GHz...
I'm still a student who's finishing a bachelor's degree this year. Next year I will start another study: (industrial) product development. So it has to fit my needs to work on design and development projects as well. I am very 'hooked' on my laptop at the moment, I take it with me everywhere I go, I use it a lot out of my condo, I watch movies and series on it in bed, etc. But the iMac has a much bigger screen which would be ideal for projects and also watching movies and series.

Now the problem is that my knowledge about computer hardware is anything but big. Is there anyone here who could give me some advice about making this choice?

Thanks in advance,
kind regards - Charles

pigoo3 04-14-2014 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlesdc (Post 1577925)
Currently I own a 2010 Macbook Pro 13" 2,4-GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. After 4 years of everyday use it's starting to lag a bit. I decided to buy a new computer and I want it to be a Mac.

This is not surprising...since you already own a Mac.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlesdc (Post 1577925)
Now the problem is that I don't know what to choose. Should I go for the new 15-inch Macbook Pro 2,0-GHz Retina-display OR for the 27-inch iMac 3,2 GHz...

When choosing between a MacBook Pro or an iMac...what you're really saying is desktop or laptop. You need to decide if you need the portability of a laptop. Once you make this decision...then the choice is easy.

If you need the portability of a laptop...then a 27" iMac is not a very good choice. If you don't need the portability of a laptop...than an iMac is a great choice.

- Nick

Radiophil 04-14-2014 09:32 AM

Laptop Vs. Desktop
 
Keep your current laptop and go for the 27 inchi iMac Desktop

Charlesdc 04-14-2014 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radiophil (Post 1577935)
Keep your current laptop and go for the 27 inchi iMac Desktop

A friend of mine said the same, but the problem is that my 2010 least powerful MBP version is starting to lag. I could of course do a complete reset, but then again, how long will I be able to use it in the future? I feel the need to have something portable too. Maybe I should indeed go for the iMac, reset my MBP and if it starts to lag and fail completely buy a cheaper iPad for on the go?

An other friend told me to definitely go for the new 15" MBP, but i'm going to study design and development and I'm not sure if 15" will cut it. I could buy a Thunderbolt screen after a couple of years, but then again it's another 1000$ spent on computer related parts, which I'm not sure I will be able to afford...

chscag 04-14-2014 02:19 PM

If you feel you will need something portable, then your choice is easy: A new MacBook Pro Retina 15" or even a Retina 13" should be good for design work and study. As far as buying a Thunderbolt display, that would be ideal, however, there are other large displays you can buy and keep at home for use. Shop around and compare specs and prices.

Take a look at the Dell and BenQ line of large ISP displays and compare.

Charlesdc 04-15-2014 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chscag (Post 1577987)
If you feel you will need something portable, then your choice is easy: A new MacBook Pro Retina 15" or even a Retina 13" should be good for design work and study.

Guess that would be the best choice atm. Even though I feel the need of a bigger screen (15") which is a minimum requirement when working in the design -and development sector, can someone explain the biggest difference between this 13" and the 15" model please?
13-inch: 2.6GHz with Retina display vs. 15-inch: 2.0GHz with Retina display
What will be the biggest difference I'll be able to feel between a 2.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 with Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz and a 2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 with Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz?

Charlesdc 04-15-2014 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlesdc (Post 1578103)
Can someone explain the biggest difference between this 13" and the 15" model please?
13-inch: 2.6GHz with Retina display vs. 15-inch: 2.0GHz with Retina display
What will be the biggest difference I'll be able to feel between a 2.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 with Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz and a 2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 with Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz?


I'm sorry, I'd better ask this in the other section about Apple Notebooks hardware! Never mind, and thank you all for the answers.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.