New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

IMac: upgrade or buy new?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Cheyanna

Cheyanna is on a distinguished road

I have a 2.66 GHz late 2009 iMac with hard drive issues. I would like to have the drive replaced with new larger drive (3Tb?). I'm not a techie and would hire this done. I hear terms like fashion drive, solid state drive, etc. but do notundrerstand what these options are or which might be best for me. I am an artist and work with lots of photos. What additional info would you need to help me determine what I would need?

Last edited by Cheyanna; 04-06-2014 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Spelling
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

A solid state drive (SSD) of a size greater than around 500 GB is going to be expensive. I'm not even sure if anyone makes a solid state drive of 3 TB in size. Your best purchase would be to buy a 2 or 3 TB hard drive and have someone install it for you. Installing a hard drive in an iMac is a difficult procedure for a do it yourself project. You can have Apple do it for you or any authorized Apple repair service. Make sure you get an estimate of cost first.
QUOTE Thanks
Cheyanna

Thanks for the prompt response. I just returned to NY from a month visit in Dallas and enjoyed my time there. There is an Apple auth shop near me where I can have the replacement done and memory added. My only concern is with the age of the computer, is replacing the drive a good idea? I hate to sink the money into a new iMac, but I also don't want to be left behind in a year or two unable to run new OS & software.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Well, that's a decision you need to make. A 2009 iMac is getting a bit dated but still a useful machine. A new iMac especially if you go top of the line, is going to cost around $2000 or more depending on how loaded it is. Adding a large hard drive and memory to your iMac plus the cost of labor is probably going to set you back close to $500. You may be able to get the work done for less. You can always save by installing the memory yourself since that's an easy do it yourself task.
QUOTE Thanks
Cheyanna

Again thanks. I guess $500 or so isn't a bad investment for a couple more years out if the machine.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Consider installing a hybrid drive instead of a full SSD. You get 90+ percent of the speed, plus massive storage amounts, for way cheaper.

PS. If you're doing anything that is (or will be) graphically intense (example: watch an HD movie), I'd suggest moving on rather than upgrading. 2009 was not a great year for video cards, and that's not upgradable in your machine.
QUOTE Thanks
jonnynash

jonnynash is on a distinguished road

You should buy a new one as now adays upgrading will cost you much more than buying a new one. I can suggest to a site from where you can get a mac air just at $249.

Last edited by pigoo3; 04-07-2014 at 12:33 AM. Reason: link removed
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynash View Post
You should buy a new one as now adays upgrading will cost you much more than buying a new one. I can suggest to a site from where you can get a mac air just at $249.
I'm going to suggest that the link you referenced is not legitimate (link removed). Post it again...and you'll be banned!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Nick: he's a spammer. That's what they do.
QUOTE Thanks
Cheyanna

Thanks, chas_m for your thoughts. I will look into that option. This is my workhorse machine. I typically watch movies on my iPad Air, so that's not an issue.
Cheyanna
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Nick: he's a spammer. That's what they do.
Well aware of that. 99% of spam on Mac-Forums is never seen by the membership due to automatic controls, fast action by the staff, and reports by members.

This member is/was a bit more subtle with the link...and didn't want to ban them in case it was an innocent mistake (benefit of the doubt).

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Ahh you are a soft hearted oldie Nick. First post spam and out the door lol!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

Normally when I report spam posts, the spam post is then removed. This spam post is still here with the link removed. Change of policy?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Normally when I report spam posts, the spam post is then removed. This spam post is still here with the link removed. Change of policy?
The post above was never reported by anyone. It was spotted by the Mac-Forums staff...and dealt with. Judgement calls are made as to how to handle these sort of situations. It's not always a one-size-fits-all process.

Let please focus on the thread topic.

Thanks,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Old Rogue

Old Rogue is on a distinguished road

I just replaced my long-dead internal drive (Early 2008, 2.8 GHz iMac) with an OWC SSD, and I can say I got a whole new machine out of it.
It cold-boots in about 20 seconds, and applications open right now! Best upgrade I've ever done or had done, and there have been lots in 30 years.

"A body in motion at a constant velocity will remain in motion until pushed out of bounds by the Strong Safety."
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Default Monitor 2 Output on Mac Pro? | help with power mac g4 »