Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Desktops (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/)
-   -   Getting internet (probably wifi) on my Mac Pro (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/310259-getting-internet-probably-wifi-my-mac-pro.html)

durangotang 04-06-2014 02:10 PM

Getting internet (probably wifi) on my Mac Pro

Hello,

I have an older (2009) Mac Pro and I am having problems getting it online. There is wifi in my house and what I have been doing is using the 'Internet Sharing' option on my Macbook laptop to share the wifi connection with my Mac Pro via an ethernet cable between my laptop and desktop. However, my laptop recently had a bit of a freakout and I had to restart it and when it came back on, I had to reconnect it to the wifi, but when i did that, the internet sharing mysteriously stopped working between my laptop and desktop. I was just wondering if there was a way to use my extra router to pick up the wifi signal being broadcast by the house's router and connect an ethernet cable from my desktop to the router so I can stop relying on my laptop to get internet.

Thanks!

pigoo3 04-06-2014 02:31 PM

How come you don't just connect each computer individually to your WiFi network?

Does your Mac Pro not have built-in WiFi? If your Mac Pro doesn't have built-in WiFi...maybe installing it would be a good thing.:)

- Nick

Slydude 04-06-2014 03:20 PM

You shoo;d be able to do that. We can be more specific with directions if we know the model. You'll probably need to set it to join an existing network and enter the name, configuration details, and password for your network.

One thing to be aware of though. Some routers, some Time Capsules for example, will not work in this mode. When they join an existing network wirelessly the ethernet ports shut down.

durangotang 04-07-2014 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigoo3 (Post 1576587)
How come you don't just connect each computer individually to your WiFi network?

Does your Mac Pro not have built-in WiFi? If your Mac Pro doesn't have built-in WiFi...maybe installing it would be a good thing.:)

- Nick

my mac pro does not have built in wifi. Is it easy to install an airport or something on a mac pro?

pigoo3 04-07-2014 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durangotang (Post 1576684)
my mac pro does not have built in wifi. Is it easy to install an airport or something on a mac pro?

Yes...pretty easy. Especially since it's very easy to access the innards of the older style Mac Pro's. :)

- Nick

chas_m 04-07-2014 02:58 AM

I'm not sure how easily you'll find an Airport adapter kit for that model, but you can use the PCI slots to install a modern third-party Wi-Fi card easily enough -- make sure before you buy that it is Mac/OS X compatible.

pigoo3 04-07-2014 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chas_m (Post 1576695)
I'm not sure how easily you'll find an Airport adapter kit for that model, but you can use the PCI slots to install a modern third-party Wi-Fi card easily enough -- make sure before you buy that it is Mac/OS X compatible.

Usually original WiFi cards for Mac Pro's are available on eBay or sites like Powerbookmedic.com (just checked). But if there are dependable/reliable PCI WiFi cards for Mac Pro's...that would certainly work too.:)

- Nick

durangotang 04-07-2014 03:02 PM

Ok, so I'm going to let on to my lacking computer savviness here and ask what's the difference between an original wifi card for a macpro and a PCI wifi card? Pros/Cons? Rough cost?

Just to be clear, I do have a second router in my home and I am still wondering if it has the capability to pick up the wifi coming from the first router. Then I could just connect my desktop to the 2nd router with ethernet and be good to go, right? Do most routers have this capability and is it easy to setup? What info regarding my computer and router would you need to help me figure it out?

Thanks!

durangotang 04-07-2014 03:03 PM

it would be nice if I could use my 2nd router and avoid buying more stuff :)

pigoo3 04-07-2014 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durangotang (Post 1576796)
Ok, so I'm going to let on to my lacking computer savviness here and ask what's the difference between an original wifi card for a macpro and a PCI wifi card? Pros/Cons? Rough cost?

Here's the Apple WiFi card:

Mac Pro AirPort Card

I'll let chas_m provide info on the PCI WiFi card. I've never messed with them.

- Nick

durangotang 04-07-2014 03:22 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfvG...0&noredirect=1

is this what I should do????

pigoo3 04-07-2014 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durangotang (Post 1576806)

The video is for a 2008 Mac Pro (yours is a 2009). The 2009 does have some significant design differences (the cpu's and ram are on a removable tray)...so a 2009 will look a bit different inside. But I do not believe that the install is any more difficult.

If you can find an install video for a 2009 Mac Pro on You Tube...then you're good to go.:)

- Nick

RadDave 04-07-2014 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durangotang (Post 1576806)

Also, for an alternate, take a look @ the iFixit Guides for your model laptop - good luck! Dave :)

dtravis7 04-07-2014 05:24 PM

You never gave us the Brand and Model of the other router. Some will work as a Wireless Bridge and some will not.

Can we have the brand and model of the router?

pigoo3 04-07-2014 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadDave (Post 1576827)
Also, for an alternate, take a look @ the iFixit Guides for your model laptop - good luck! Dave :)

It's a Mac Pro desktop. iFixit has no repair/install guide for a WiFi card for a Mac Pro (ifixit has very little for Mac Pro's)..

- Nick