New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Getting internet (probably wifi) on my Mac Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
It's a Mac Pro desktop. iFixit has no repair/install guide for a WiFi card for a Mac Pro (ifixit has very little for Mac Pro's)..
Hi Nick - please check this Link before you put a foot in your mouth - the 'i' does not apply just to our little iDevices - the site is much more versatile - Dave
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
Hi Nick - please check this Link before you put a foot in your mouth - the 'i' does not apply just to our little iDevices - the site is much more versatile - Dave
Dave. I'm not sure if I should be offended or not for the "foot in the mouth comment".

I am also very very very very familiar with the iFixit.com website. I've been using it for years & years…and have been recommending it to Mac-Forum members for years & years as assistance in their repair needs.

But I think that you missed the point in my earlier post. The OP has a "Mac Pro" desktop computer…you keep providing information for a "MacBook Pro" laptop computer.

You might want to revisit who the "foot in the mouth comment" applies to.

- Nick

p.s. And my comment about iFixit and Mac Pro's (the desktop computer) still applies. iFixit.com does not have a whole lot of info for Mac Pro computers. There is a lot at iFixit for iMac's, Mac-Mini's, MacBook's, and MacBook Pro's…and older Apple computers such as iBooks, Powerbook's, Powermac's, etc. But not much for Mac Pro desktop computers.

p.p.s. We all make mistakes from time to time. There was no need for the "foot in the mouth" or the iFxit.com comments.

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery

Last edited by pigoo3; 04-07-2014 at 08:40 PM. Reason: added info
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Dave. I'm not sure if I should be offended or not for the "foot in the mouth comment".

I am also very very very very familiar with the iFixit.com website. I've been using it for years & years…and have been recommending it to Mac-Forum members for years & years as assistance in their repair needs......
Hi again Nick - AND OH MY! Just a 'tongue in cheek' expression (one of the only forums that I frequent that seems to be a buddy type) - SO, I sincerely apologize for my obvious ignorance in my previous post - I'm the one w/ at least one if not two feet in my mouth.

I obviously did not pay as much attention to the OPs first posts, i.e. assuming that the issue was w/ a laptop - my complete misunderstanding. In the future, I shall be more careful in reading the details - seems to an easy mistake.

Please accept my sincere apologies - I shall not respond to this thread in the future and will be careful about my future posts so not to lessen the immense value of this forum.

Thanks for all of your help and the other mods - this has been a valuable forum for me and I don't want to be considered a less than useful member. Dave

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

No problems Dave. Stuff happens!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Love the pic Dave. BTW Don't feel bad I can tell you from experience that some of us have room for both feet.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

MANY even experienced Mac users have made the same mistake Dave. MacBook Pro and Mac Pro. Many owners also interchange the names, so do not feel bad. You are a great help here.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
MANY even experienced Mac users have made the same mistake Dave. MacBook Pro and Mac Pro. Many owners also interchange the names, so do not feel bad. You are a great help here.
Thanks Sly & Dennis - I'm new to the 'Apple Nomenclature' and will pay closer attention before responding in the future - Dave
QUOTE Thanks
over36

over36 is on a distinguished road

I was using WiFi, but when I wanted to easily use more than one computer I switched my device to MiFi. It connects any device in my house. I use my Ipad, my MacBook Pro and my Kindle without any difficulty.

over36
QUOTE Thanks
ferrarr

ferrarr has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2011 15" MBP Quad 2.2 I7 OS X.9 16GB 240GB SSD & 500GB (no Optical drive)

Quote:
Originally Posted by over36 View Post
I was using WiFi, but when I wanted to easily use more than one computer I switched my device to MiFi. It connects any device in my house. I use my Ipad, my MacBook Pro and my Kindle without any difficulty.

over36
I don't understand this statement. You can use multiple devices over wifi as well.

I use my iPad, iPhone, and MBP, my wife uses her laptop and cell phone, and our kids use their devices as well.

iPod 5th gen 30gb, iPad 2 16gb WiFi iOS 7, iPhone 4s 16gb iOS 7.
QUOTE Thanks
durangotang

durangotang is on a distinguished road

Here's another question. I used to get my internet on my desktop by turning on internet sharing on my laptop as you can see in the image attached. I would then connect my laptop to my desktop via ethernet cable and the internet worked no problem. One day my laptop froze and I had to restart it. Since then, the internet (airport) has continued to work on my laptop but the internet sharing seems to have stopped even though i still have it turned on on my laptop's settings. Any advice?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2014-04-18 at 11.39.05 AM.png (75.1 KB, 10 views)
QUOTE Thanks
durangotang

Also, could I buy something like this and just get wifi on my Mac Pro desktop from this device????

300Mbps USB WiFi LAN Card WiFi 802 11 N G B Adapter Antenna for Desktop Laptop | eBay
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by durangotang View Post
Also, could I buy something like this and just get wifi on my Mac Pro desktop from this device????

300Mbps USB WiFi LAN Card WiFi 802 11 N G B Adapter Antenna for Desktop Laptop | eBay
I've used one of these devices with an older Mac Pro that did not have a wireless card. It actually worked well. The only issue I had was with device drivers. I updated the OS and the supplied driver stopped working which meant the device stopped working.

A few weeks later I found a working driver by finding out what chipset was involved and going to that site. The vendor whose name was on the device still had the older driver on their site.

I'll do some thinking and see if I can figure out internet sharing.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
durangotang

thanks! I can't decide whether to get an aircard or this external antenna....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hard Drive Capacity Confusion | Filling in PDF forms »