Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Specs:
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.11.4
    Quote Originally Posted by newimacuser View Post
    OK just to clarify,

The drive will only work when plugged into a USB extension cable, it will not work when i connect it without the USB extension cable.
    The drive comes with a USB 3 connecting cable that plugs into the drive and then into the Mac, but using this method does not work.
    To get the drive to work I use the same USB connecting cable that came with the drive and instead of plugging it directly into the mac, I have to use a USB extension cable and plug the drive into that and then plug the other end into the Mac. It will now work as normal.
    So the USB 2 extension cable I only use to get the thing working, it should work without it but it doesn't
    Yes, please provide the iMac model/year and have you tried other USB slots on the back of the computer?

But, I'm still confused as to how you are getting this to work, so I'll post some pictures; first, the connection to your Toshiba HD (red arrow indicates the type of connection for USB 3, i.e. w/ the indentation); a second pic showing the cable that I assume came w/ your HD - connector w/ red arrow goes into your HD & the connector w/ the blue arrow goes into the USB 2 extension cable shown in the third image (the one you provided a link); then on the last pic, the connector w/ the red arrow goes into your iMac - is that correct? Dave

Attached Images Attached Images

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Hi all,
    Just been down to my local computer store and tried my drive on a iMac display model and the same thing happens on that too, the guy at the store had a spare drive cable that i tried and that didn't work either so concluded it was a faulty Toshiba drive. He said it was weird and he had never seen this problem before.

My iMac is the 27inch model running Mavericks and it is about 3 weeks old.
    OK, things are a lot clearer now. A defective drive would certainly explain what's happening. When you stated that the USB 2 cable made it work is why I thought you didn't know the drive was in fact USB 3. Hopefully, you can return the drive for a new one and be able to use the faster speed of USB 3.

Your new iMac ports are USB 3 and backward compatible for USB 2, but of course using USB 3 devices is best.

Hi RadDave,
    You got it! thats how I get it to work. and it will only work when connected like your pictures indicate.

Specs:
    Hi all,
    Just been down to my local computer store and tried my drive on a iMac display model and the same thing happens on that too, the guy at the store had a spare drive cable that i tried and that didn't work either so concluded it was a faulty Toshiba drive. He said it was weird and he had never seen this problem before.

My iMac is the 27inch model running Mavericks and it is about 3 weeks old.
    OOPS - seems like I was putting together my post w/ pics at the same time you were composing the above - glad that you sorted out the issue, just seems quite odd? Dave

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Not that this will help much, but I have a USB3 external drive with the "indented" connector and an included cable that converts it to "regular" USB. No trouble self-powering it here on a 2009 MBP, so I know these things can work when "plugged in directly."

Specs:
    L2011 15 MBP Quad 2.2 I7 OS X.11 16GB 500GB SSD & 500GB HDD (no optical drive)
    I also use a USB 3 drive (WD) for Time Machine with my MBP. I don't understand why the OP's USB 3 drive won't work directly when plugged into a USB 3 port, but will work when plugged into a USB 2 extension cable. Will the USB 2 cable still work at USB 3 speed?

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    I also use a USB 3 drive (WD) for Time Machine with my MBP. I don't understand why the OP's USB 3 drive won't work directly when plugged into a USB 3 port, but will work when plugged into a USB 2 extension cable. Will the USB 2 cable still work at USB 3 speed?
    Nope - with that connection, the speed will be limited to the USB 2 standard; the USB 3 cable has just over twice the number of wires (4 vs. 9) w/ the faster speed also dependent on the use of two data paths (more info HERE, if interested). Dave

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Member Dave is correct. He's effectively using the drive as USB 2 with that extension cable attached. That's why he needs to return the drive either to the place where he purchased it or get a RMA from Toshiba and send it to them for a replacement.

Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    Thanks for that info Dave. I knew about the USB 2 cable slowing things down but never bothered to ask why. Sometimes the "enginered" in me really doesn't kick in. When that happens I really don't ask the details.
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Specs:
    Late 2009 iMac 21.5; 3.06 GHz Intel Core Duo; 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, dual-boot, El Capitan, and Win 7.
    For what it's worth, I have an old Buffalo Link Station external drive that I have used with a Toshiba laptop and with an iMac. The USB port on the drive is not for connecting to the computer but for connecting additional peripherals, like a printer. Only the ethernet cord is used to talk to the computer.

Thread Information