Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Quote Originally Posted by newimacuser View Post
    Hi all,
    Just been down to my local computer store and tried my drive on a iMac display model and the same thing happens on that too, the guy at the store had a spare drive cable that i tried and that didn't work either so concluded it was a faulty Toshiba drive. He said it was weird and he had never seen this problem before.

My iMac is the 27inch model running Mavericks and it is about 3 weeks old.
    OK, things are a lot clearer now. A defective drive would certainly explain what's happening. When you stated that the USB 2 cable made it work is why I thought you didn't know the drive was in fact USB 3. Hopefully, you can return the drive for a new one and be able to use the faster speed of USB 3.

Your new iMac ports are USB 3 and backward compatible for USB 2, but of course using USB 3 devices is best.

Hi RadDave,
    You got it! thats how I get it to work. and it will only work when connected like your pictures indicate.

Specs:
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by newimacuser View Post
    Hi all,
    Just been down to my local computer store and tried my drive on a iMac display model and the same thing happens on that too, the guy at the store had a spare drive cable that i tried and that didn't work either so concluded it was a faulty Toshiba drive. He said it was weird and he had never seen this problem before.

My iMac is the 27inch model running Mavericks and it is about 3 weeks old.
    OOPS - seems like I was putting together my post w/ pics at the same time you were composing the above - glad that you sorted out the issue, just seems quite odd? Dave

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Not that this will help much, but I have a USB3 external drive with the "indented" connector and an included cable that converts it to "regular" USB. No trouble self-powering it here on a 2009 MBP, so I know these things can work when "plugged in directly."

Specs:
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    I also use a USB 3 drive (WD) for Time Machine with my MBP. I don't understand why the OP's USB 3 drive won't work directly when plugged into a USB 3 port, but will work when plugged into a USB 2 extension cable. Will the USB 2 cable still work at USB 3 speed?
    Nope - with that connection, the speed will be limited to the USB 2 standard; the USB 3 cable has just over twice the number of wires (4 vs. 9) w/ the faster speed also dependent on the use of two data paths (more info HERE, if interested). Dave

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Member Dave is correct. He's effectively using the drive as USB 2 with that extension cable attached. That's why he needs to return the drive either to the place where he purchased it or get a RMA from Toshiba and send it to them for a replacement.

Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    Thanks for that info Dave. I knew about the USB 2 cable slowing things down but never bothered to ask why. Sometimes the "enginered" in me really doesn't kick in. When that happens I really don't ask the details.
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Specs:
    Late 2009 iMac 21.5; 3.06 GHz Intel Core Duo; 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, dual-boot, El Capitan, and Win 7.
    For what it's worth, I have an old Buffalo Link Station external drive that I have used with a Toshiba laptop and with an iMac. The USB port on the drive is not for connecting to the computer but for connecting additional peripherals, like a printer. Only the ethernet cord is used to talk to the computer.

Thread Information