New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Buying A Used Mac Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

carter1551

carter1551 is on a distinguished road

Hey Everyone,

I can get a great deal on a 2006 Mac Pro and would upgrade it to an 8 Core x5355 CPU if I did. Is this the best CPU that will work with an 06? If not please let me know which is the best that is compatible.

I've been using a 2.4ghz C2D MBP for my audio production in Logic 8/9 and it just isn't cutting it. CPU maxes out quite easily.

So my question is, would an 06 Pro with 8 Core cpu be a worthwhile upgrade for audio production over my current Macbook Pro?

In total between the Pro and the upgraded CPU it would cost me around $400-$450.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Well, to start with the Xeon X5355 is a 4 core chip.
However, since you would need to buy two X5355s in order to replace "both" the CPUs in that '06 MP, you would end up with 8 cores.

The problem that I see, is that the X5355 does not support ECC memory which is what is used in the MP. Think you should be able to run non-ECC, but that's going to mean changing out the existing RAM in it also.

While I'm sure the MP would blow the C2D out of the water, it's still an 8 yr old computer and personally, I'd have a hard time putting $400-500 (or a more after replacing the RAM) in a computer of that age. Would be looking for a later model that has the capability of running the current version of OS X.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Last edited by bobtomay; 04-01-2014 at 08:56 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

And having a 32bit EFI, rules out 64bit operating system,s including OS X.8 Snow Leopard and OS X.9 Mavericks. In my Mac Pro days the best upgrade was the 5500 Bloomfield processors in the 2.66GHz, or if you could find them the 2.93GHz. Was still 32bit architecture drat!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
carter1551

Thanks for your inputs. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it. I spec'd the cpu's & 16gb of ram and after that I'll be at about $450 spent for the whole rig. I'm actually very happy with SL & Logic 9 (not a mav's or LPX fan) and don't have any issues using that on my Pro. This will also give my laptop extended life as I'll only have to use it for school and DJ'ing.

It was this or a hackintosh and I really didn't want to have to build a whole system.

I have a follow up question.

1. Can I purchase any SLAEG Xeon X5355's? In some listings on ebay and other sites they say things like "pulled from disassembled Dell server". Just want to be sure I am purchasing compatible chips here. Also its my understanding that SLAEG is the best choice because it will consume less power at idle.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter1551 View Post
Thanks for your inputs. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it. I spec'd the cpu's & 16gb of ram and after that I'll be at about $450 spent for the whole rig.
I'm not sure what you paid for the computer...or how much ram it comes with...but If you're only into this computer for $450 after all upgrades...you are very luckily.

If you need to purchase all 16gig of ram...that's going to cost you $265-$330 (depending on the modules purchased).

Add to this the purchase price of the computer + the upgrade cpu's...and that's a lot for $450.

Make sure you are getting the correct ram. 1st gen. Mac Pro's need special ram...and that ram is very expensive (as mentioned above).

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
carter1551

UPDATE:

Received the Pro and am pretty happy despite a few mishaps. It included a really small hard drive, not like advertised. Anyway, I talked to the guy and he agreed to split the cost of a 2 TB hd with me so that was a nice bonus. It was supposed to come with a 750. Another disappointment is that I can't get my superdrive to play a disc. It opens and closes but I don't hear it spin up. I'm hoping that he may agree to pay for a used one off ebay or something.

On to the good! Installed the x5355's and it was a great learning experience. Everything went flawlessly and the actual operation of the Pro is immensely impressive. Also, when I opened things up to get a look inside I found out that it included an 8800gt, compared to the 7300 that was advertised.

I opened a Logic project that would normally max out my MBP and I'm not even using half of my CPU's power now.

So overall, here is the damage. There's little stuff I didn't factor in originally like, thermal paste, Torx driver, a bluetooth adapter (forgot bluetooth is an OPTION on Pro)

$500
-06 Pro
-x5355 (2)
12 GB Ram
2 TB hd
8800GT.

Overall I am very happy and just keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have any major problems. To the 2 that responded, thank you for your advice on things. Hoping to be a more active participant on these forums in the future.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter1551 View Post

On to the good! Installed the x5355's and it was a great learning experience. Everything went flawlessly and the actual operation of the Pro is immensely impressive. Also, when I opened things up to get a look inside I found out that it included an 8800gt, compared to the 7300 that was advertised.
Congratulations! Both on the cpu upgrade and the better graphics card.

I've actually been considering doing this 4-core to 8-core upgrade as well! Just looking to find the right deal on a Mac Pro to pop up.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Fcpx how do i know if my graphics card is enabled! | Which Mac Option should i go with »