Message MS Office has encoutered a problems and needs to close
    I was gone for a week and had my imac turned off. Now I'm not able to open any MS Office for mac applications as well as Adobe Acrobat Pro or Reader.
    I downloaded ClamXav and scanned the computer. Found a couple malware and phishing files, deleted the files but still same problem. I had Shopos on my computer and I was not able to open the scan.
    Do I have a virus on my computer? Any help will be appreciated.

Specs:
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.11.5
    Quote Originally Posted by uschiah View Post
    I was gone for a week and had my imac turned off. Now I'm not able to open any MS Office for mac applications as well as Adobe Acrobat Pro or Reader.
    I downloaded ClamXav and scanned the computer. Found a couple malware and phishing files, deleted the files but still same problem. I had Shopos on my computer and I was not able to open the scan.
    Do I have a virus on my computer? Any help will be appreciated.
    Hello and welcome to the forum! Please provide some additional information: 1) iMac model/year; 2) OS installed; and 3) MS Office version and installation, i.e. is this Office for the Mac or do you have a Windows partition (if the latter, how are you running Windows)?

Before you turned off the iMac, were these programs working properly? Finally, I doubt that this is a virus issue, so other problems need to be explored and hopefully the additional comments about your system will help. Dave

IMac 21.5" Mid 2011, 2.5 Ghz Intel Core i5, 12 GB 1333 Mhz DDR3, OS X 10.9.2, MS Office for Mac Standard 2011 installed 2012. Adobe Acrobat 8 Pro. I do not run windows on a separate platform.
    Everything was working well with no problems when I powered down a week ago.

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 5K, 512GB flash memory, 3.3GHz, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra beta.
    Have a read of this link on how to enter Library/Preferences and drag to the Trash any .plist file encountered for Microsoft Office 2011 (Word, Excel etc). :Leave the files in the Trash and reboot. New .plist files will be rebuilt and if there is no problem empty the Trash.

Find a .plist file for a specific application - Mac OS X Hints
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thank you, unfortunately it did not work. As it is affecting MS Office for Mac and Adobe Acrobat Pro I tried to uninstall Adobe Acrobat Pro using Acrobat Uninstaller and I get the same error report.

Seems as the problem is affecting more applications including Garage band, Imovie and smilebox.
    I'm certainly lost with this.

Thank you everyone for your help. As the problem started with MS Office for Mac, I posted a question on Microsoft Community. I received this suggestion and I found a HP printer application interfering in the startup process.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2693802

Thanks again.

chscag posted:
    Whatever the problem is, it's system wide. Do this:

Boot to your recovery partition and verify your hard drive. Hold down the command + r keys on a reboot. Once in recovery, select utilities, Disk Utility. Verify the hard drive and repair if necessary. Let us know the results.

Disk Utility found no problems, HD is ok. Thanks.

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 5K, 512GB flash memory, 3.3GHz, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra beta.
    Ahh the joys of HP driver software! Often late and sometimes do cause interference.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thread Information