New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

IMac running slow

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dmunroe

dmunroe is on a distinguished road

I did an update on "2014-02-28" since then my IMac has been running slow .. I contacted apple using iMessage I was told how to check a few things but it's still not right .. I do a lot of photography but right now I only have about 1000 pics in iPhoto .. Pages are loading slow and I have Adobe CC so I watch quite a few of the tips and PP videos and now thats almost impossible because it plays maybe 30 seconds then the pinwheel spins 30 seconds then it plays , spins , plays , spins .. I don't believe it's my wireless network because my Macbook Pro works perfect videos play etc. ..

My computer is a 27 IMac .. late 2009 .. 3.09 ghz .. 12 gb ram ..

Everything worked great until I got an update on 2014-02-28 ..
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

How full is your hard drive (gigs used & gigs free)?

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
dmunroe

I should have added that in the original post ..

999.35 capacity
735.71 available
263.64 used
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok...the hard drive looks fine.

How often do you restart/reboot your Mac...and when was the last time you did it?

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
dmunroe

This all started about a month ago after I did an update .. Before that I would reboot (maybe) weekly .. Since then I reboot daily .. And once in a while if I have a lot of photos on my CF card , once they download into iPhoto everything freezes and I have to use (option + right click) to force quit iPhoto ..
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmunroe View Post
I did an update on "2014-02-28" since then my IMac has been running slow ..
Ok...if you reboot fairly regularly...we can cross that off the list.

When you did the update on 2014-02-28...what exactly was updated?

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
dmunroe

I don't know what the update was ... If I remember right it took about 20-30 min installing .. Is there a way I can check what it was ..?
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

APP STORE will show purchased and date.
Finder under downloads will show date when you click on each one.
QUOTE Thanks
dmunroe

I checked there but it doesn't list updates or/and the date the updates were installed .. Is there a place OI can check the date updates were installed and what they were for ..?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmunroe View Post
I checked there but it doesn't list updates or/and the date the updates were installed .. Is there a place OI can check the date updates were installed and what they were for ..?
For what it's worth. I seriously doubt these updates are responsible for the slowness. Maybe the slowness started around the time of these updates...but something else probably coincidentally happened at about the same time. Making it seem like the slowness was due to the updates...but it could be something else. It could even be a hard drive failure of some sort.

I've been doing these updates for years & years & years...and have never had an issue like this.

You could try running the free maintenance program called "Onyx":

Titanium's Software • Index page

Install & launch the app. The click on the "automation" button...and let it do it's thing.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Hit the App Store button in the Dock, when the window opens select Updates and it will show what was updated in the last 30 days. What operating system are you using? If Mavericks try downloading the Combo Updater The latest was released on February 25 so that could well fix your problem.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1726

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time machine Back up | iMac won't sleep; Trackpad and Keyboard eat batteries »