New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Internet help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hayley215

hayley215 is on a distinguished road

I want to start out by saying I am not extremely computer savvy, so I need help in layman's terms.

I have an iMac that is about 8 years old, it crashed around 4 years ago and was fixed. I am currently running Mac OS X 10.7.5

The internet is wireless through a router and my two roommates have MacBooks and are not having any issues.

I have never had internet problems before, they started out of nowhere about a week ago. At first it would just take a while for a video to load now videos on netflix and hbogo are not working at all. So the actually website will load but the video will be buffering or loading forever.

When I try to use uTorrent it says 'Connection status: unavailable' or 'no incoming connection'

I am not sure if this is enough data to understand the problem so please let me know if there's any other information needed.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Welcome to Mac-Forums..

What kind of router do you have? Can you click on the Apple icon on the top left and then choose "About This Mac" and then More Info and tell us the specific year of the iMac, that will help greatly.

Is your problem just specific to load/playing videos or general connectivity issues with websites as well?

If it's purely a video issue, what kind of Internet package do you have? Who is your ISP? What are your two roommates doing on the network?

If you are the only one on the network doing anything, do things work better?

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
hayley215

hayley215 is on a distinguished road

when I clicked on more info it read mid 2007

it's really just videos and uTorrent but website take much longer to load.

My ISP is Comcast, my router is Xfinity Arris

It's the same when we are all on the internet or it's just me.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

What is your package with Comcast? That is, what is your specified download speed specifically?

Can you hit up a site like Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test from your computer and see if you are seeing the kind of bandwidth your package should get you?

You mentioned a couple of video streaming sites, what kind of performance are you getting by visiting YouTube, Vimeo, and other free sites?

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Choosing the right iMac for me - Need Help! | Is there another app »